Oregon bpx embarasses my 346!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wood wasn't particularly dirty, just a bit rough, hence why I didn't fancy using the RS.

Thanks for the replies guys...

You're Welcome minnnt.
All said, dave k may have hit on what's happened, where he mentioned the chain loosing it's temper, especially after it became smoking hot.

I suspect that you have hit stone or the like and although you have sharpened the chain and it looks ok in fact the temper of the cutters have been changed and you can sharpen all you want but it won't make any difference. Glass is the worst it will super heat the cutters in a moment. I don't mind nails etc but the wrong stone or glass and the chain is done for ! Even starting again with a flat file on the cutter has a limited effect.
A great thread was started by Bobl about how to see if you had a sharp chain and looking for glint on a chain etc.

This could explain a lot. I use the chain for jobs that look rubbish so it has to deal with rubbish quite often, including glass.

Also got a lot of barbed wire in the trees I'm cutting too stihl crazy but try my best to pick my way round it.

What is tempur btw?

Most if not all cutting implements are cooled at a certain temp and speed therefore giving the "blade" the ability to take and retain an edge a process called tempering. If you run your file along your cutter then run the file along any old mild steel you will see the difference even the drive links of the chain will be a different hardness to the cutter.
I think we have an answer to your problem.

Most if not all cutting implements are cooled at a certain temp and speed therefore giving the "blade" the ability to take and retain an edge a process called tempering. If you run your file along your cutter then run the file along any old mild steel you will see the difference even the drive links of the chain will be a different hardness to the cutter.
I think we have an answer to your problem.

Thanks Dave. Will get another chain for it then and throw it in the bin. Thanks once again.

Latest posts

Back