Oregon Chain questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A family member reciently gave me a new 18" .325 chain from Oregon that fits my 024 and 036. He had bought it for his MS250, but it didn't fit. Anyway, the chain looks to be a full comp and full chisel, but the link between the cutters has some kind of thin drag link on it that seems to really slow the cut down. It's probably some sort of anti kickback crap. Anyway, does anyone know of any modification that I can do to this chain to help it cut faster (other than keep it sharp)? I'm thinking of taking my dremel and knocking some off of that extra drag link. The bad thing is that it's got a hollowed out section, so I can't just grind it all the way down :( Anyway, before I went and started grinding on anything, I thought I'd ask around first. This chain does take a 5/32" file instead of a 3/16 like my Stihl chains, so maybe I'm just not going to be able to get it to cut nearly as fast as my RSC chains.

Thanks,
Mark

Just use the chain. I run “low kick back” chain on several saws and I don’t really notice a significant difference in cutting speed. The loop isn’t really worth the effort to grind out the bump links. If you are worried about speed, keep this chain for “special purposes” like stump cutting, root cutting or loaning out to your brother in law. Just some thoughts…

I haven't actually had it on my 036 yet. It's currently on my 024, but both saws have the same bar, and both saws have .325 sprockets/rims, so since it fits the 024, I don't know why it wouldn't fit the 036.

This chain is a DOG compaired to my RSC chains. With the RSC chain, I can stop the 024 if I lean on it much. I can't stop the oregon chain unless I get it pinched. It's brand new, and this is the first time that I used it. I'll touch it up, put it back in the box and save it for the stump out front. Heck, I probably won't even waste my time with it on that. Just keep it for an emergency. I'm just glad the chain was given to me. I'd be pretty ticked off if I had spent money on it.

Latest posts

Back