Oregon ring compressor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdb153

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use this?
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=OEP%2042217

I've seen the plastic one too, just wondering about this one.

I'm trying to put a 290 back together and having a heck of a time. I tried using tie straps but can't get it to slide down, they seem to grip to well. I can't get my fingers in there either or I'd try the 'ole kung fu grip.

get the plastic kit $8 4 different size compressors, piston stop and rod holder.

Im not sure there is an easy way to unwind that thing once the piston is in the jug. Maybe Im wrong though. On another note,someone on here suggested to use a 2liter pop bottle for ring compressor. Cut out a strip of the bottle and wrap it around the rings and squeeze. Ill take pic if you want.:cheers:

Hmm, maybe I'll give the soda bottle a shot. If it comes down to it I'll buy the plastic kit. Last time I ordered from Bailey's it took what seemed like forever to get here and imo, they charge a lot for shipping. For the $8 plastic kit it's like $8 shipping. I was kind of hoping to get the thing back together this past weekend but I'm just wasting time if I can make it work with something homemade.

Little bit o' beer can works too!

DSCN0405.jpg

Anyone ever use this?
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=OEP%2042217

I've seen the plastic one too, just wondering about this one.

I'm trying to put a 290 back together and having a heck of a time. I tried using tie straps but can't get it to slide down, they seem to grip to well. I can't get my fingers in there either or I'd try the 'ole kung fu grip.

Use a short piece of plastic thin wall PVC pipe cut on open along the side. No handles or such so that it can fit up into the recess on the 1127 series cylinder.

Zip Tie......Wire Tie

Is what I use. Holds the rings compressed and you can just slide it down to the next ring or use two ties. I like this method as I have both hands free. When you put the tie on set it up so the place where the tie joins is lined up with the pin in the ring groove. That way you can see and make sure the ring is located properly on the pin. Slide the jug on and the tie down, snip it with a set of dykes and you're done. Cheap to do, you can do quite a few saws for $8-$12 worth of ties!!!! And as I said hands free.:cheers:

My zip ties grip too much, there is an edge that seems to get caught up on the ring or something. I tried using a dremel to smooth it out but i think i made it worse. I'll try some of these methods and see if I can get any to work before buying the kit at baileys. I'll try the beer can method tonight, god knows I have enough of those laying around.

I tried fingers and having someone slide it down but I think bc of the clamshell design you can't get your fingers up in there. I read that 290's were real pita's, they weren't kidding.

Ahhhhhh

I tried fingers and having someone slide it down but I think bc of the clamshell design you can't get your fingers up in there. I read that 290's were real pita's, they weren't kidding.

I see what you mean now. I was thinking more of a traditional open based cyl. I don't have any clamshell saws so??????? Again good luck!!

Thats what mine looks like,except mine is plastic. Nice job Madhatte!:clap:

This method works well for me except I use a strip of metal roof flashing. You can bend the ends to make "handles" that are easy to squeeze closed as you push the cylinder down over the rings.

Is what I use. Holds the rings compressed and you can just slide it down to the next ring or use two ties. I like this method as I have both hands free. When you put the tie on set it up so the place where the tie joins is lined up with the pin in the ring groove. That way you can see and make sure the ring is located properly on the pin. Slide the jug on and the tie down, snip it with a set of dykes and you're done. Cheap to do, you can do quite a few saws for $8-$12 worth of ties!!!! And as I said hands free.:cheers:

I use a Jubilee/worm drive clip, if you can get one of the type that when you loosen it, you can flip the worm drive out[sort of quick release] they are even easier

Latest posts

Back