oregon spliced into stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I have a 98 link (30") stihl 3/8 063 full chisel, hardly used, never sharpened. I have no use for that bar at the moment (and have a spare chain anyway), but do want a 36" 120dl chain. I was going to splice 22 links in. But the two local stihl dealers only sell oregon. Would there be anything wrong with having 22 links of oregon full chisel, 3/8 063 full chisel (forgotten the name)? The stihl dealer reckoned it'd be fine, and I'm inclined to agree...

I know the roegon would blunt quicker, but so what - 18% of the teeth won't stay as sharp between sharpens... Maybe I'll do a few strokes less when I sharpen to compensate for hardness differences etc.. But will they cut that different (when sharp)?

Oh yeah and what's the difference between stihl RS and RSC, I've forgotten what I have

I say no, there are some measurement differences between oregon and stihl chain very slight but there anyway, so I would not mix them and risk some damage to the sprocket an bar. also the connecting links are different sizes. curious why a stihl dealer does not stock stihl chain?:confused:

I have been told you can swap Oregon and Carlton so I did it. but Stihl is Unique onto itself and have to use Stihl.I have used Oregon presets on Carlton chain with No Problems. But I am sure you will get lot's of reply's but I think the answer is No

damnit, I want to know why the stihl dealer doesn't stock stihl chain either! Anyone know of one that stocks it in norfolk?

Cost Gary. Stihl chain is about 30p per DL. For a 84 DL chain that's over £25. Before Sterling collapsed that would have been nearly 50 bucks for a 24 inch chain.

Big dealer near me sells Stihl and Oregon, but says most go for the Oregon because it's cheaper.

Colin.

PS. Don't ask how much the oil is :cheers:

That is ridiculous... why would a dealer not sell the brand of chain that is engineered to match the performance of the saws they sell...

That is odd...

Gary
not odd, retarded. But:
Cost Gary. Stihl chain is about 30p per DL. For a 84 DL chain that's over £25. Before Sterling collapsed that would have been nearly 50 bucks for a 24 inch chain.

Big dealer near me sells Stihl and Oregon, but says most go for the Oregon because it's cheaper.

Colin.

as colin says! I chose stihl still though... They last longer

Colin.

I will ask How much for a litre of Oil:) I pay $ 5.00 CDN for a litre of my favorite oil.Now I wont tell Gary it's a special blend of baby oil and California Condor or Owl P***.LOL

about £12 or 22CAD for a litre of synthetic 2 stroke oil.

4L of Mobil 1 0-40 motor oil is £35 or 65CAD. The car parts place near me used to keep it on the top shelf to stop it getting nicked :jawdrop:

I buy this in bulk and get it for about half now, which is about what you'd pay over your side of the pond.

So I have a 98 link (30") stihl 3/8 063 full chisel, hardly used, never sharpened. I have no use for that bar at the moment (and have a spare chain anyway), but do want a 36" 120dl chain. I was going to splice 22 links in. But the two local stihl dealers only sell oregon. Would there be anything wrong with having 22 links of oregon full chisel, 3/8 063 full chisel (forgotten the name)? The stihl dealer reckoned it'd be fine, and I'm inclined to agree...

I know the roegon would blunt quicker, but so what - 18% of the teeth won't stay as sharp between sharpens... Maybe I'll do a few strokes less when I sharpen to compensate for hardness differences etc.. But will they cut that different (when sharp)?

Oh yeah and what's the difference between stihl RS and RSC, I've forgotten what I have

RS is Rapid Super RSC is Rapid Super Comfort
Comfort has a rounded heal on the tie straps for reduced vibration

The back part of the tie strap.It should be slightly rounded. I wouldn't join the two. I've never have. So I would never suggest it. Chains hurt when the hit skin.

ok so found a dealer near my parents who have RM, but won't order RSC in rolls as reckons he won't sell it. So suggests I get the smallest loop of ready made RSC. Guess there's no choice unless I find someone local that has RSC. Stihl dealers can't post right?
I may have found a cheap chain... Next question - are the tie straps etc. the same for RMC/RM as RSC? He's got these tie straps, so I'd be using them to join.

Oregon and Stihl tie straps are NOT compatible... Either too loose or way to tight (depending on which you install in what..).

Never interchange Stihl with anything else.

Rapid Super (RS) and Rapid Super Comfort (RSC) are both Stihl chain. They both use the same tie straps. Isn't that what you asked?

Nope... The way I read it he wants to splice in 22 links of Oregon into a Stihl chain.. not smart.....

Buy a short stihl chain, bust it down and insert that..

Last edited:
There are a couple of reliable ebay sellers that sell a 13" loop of RSC 3/8 .063 for £11.40 inc. postage (chainsdirect + kwikchip) if that's a help.

Back