Oregon three rivet bar tip?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowroy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am in need of a couple 3/8" three rivet bar tips. My question is does bar length matter? A couple adds I've seen show for bars 24" or less only, and my bars are 28", and 36". I assumed a three rivet tip was three rivet tip, and would fit any three rivet bar. This will be easy for someone. TIA!

Only difference in any tip I ever saw was gauge, and some of them are all the same that way too. Can't imagine what difference length would make unless the bars themselves are different.

Only difference in any tip I ever saw was gauge, and some of them are all the same that way too. Can't imagine what difference length would make unless the bars themselves are different.

That's kinda what i thought, but just trying to figure out why someone would word there ad like that. :confused:

I just went to my shop to compare, the short bar tips have squared off ends where they meet the rails. The large bar tips have sharp points where they meet. The large bar tips are about a 1/4 inch wider just from eyeballing them. So yes there is a difference.

I just went to my shop to compare, the short bar tips have squared off ends where they meet the rails. The large bar tips have sharp points where they meet. The large bar tips are about a 1/4 inch wider just from eyeballing them. So yes there is a difference.

Not only is there a difference there, but there's also two styles of "large" three-rivet tips- those for "medium contour" bars and those for "long contour" bars. The gauge is the same for all the large tips. Most medium contour bars are 28" to 36". Long contour bars are those over 36". The ears on the large tips are wider or narrower to accommodate whichever style bar you have.

Well, i bought two. The main one i needed was for a 36" so if one of the the two will fit i'll trade or sell the other.

Sure enough, both the tips I bought are the wrong ones.:( If anyone has any documentation with part numbers that would help out a lot.

I did this search for them a while back and they are almost impossible to find. Apparently there's people with them, but they hoard them. A fellow AS member milled my bar to take a 13 tooth stihl sprocket. It always an option if you've got a nice bar you can't use.

I have a few NOS in .404 and the reason I've hoarded them, is that the bar maker near me needs that type of tip in order to make up large bars for me. I have one in 3/8 as those are really hard to find in the large profile.

I specifically remembered Whiskars thread when I opened the bar up and found that the tip wouldn't even turn. I got it to turn, but the bearings are shot. I bought mine off ebay too. It is a low hour 36" cannon, but there is also quite a bit of rust in the groove at the back. I sent the seller a message and we'll see what he says. If I end up keeping it I will probably send it to you Mr. Carr, if you wouldn't care to fix it.

I specifically remembered Whiskars thread when I opened the bar up and found that the tip wouldn't even turn. I got it to turn, but the bearings are shot. I bought mine off ebay too. It is a low hour 36" cannon, but there is also quite a bit of rust in the groove at the back. I sent the seller a message and we'll see what he says. If I end up keeping it I will probably send it to you Mr. Carr, if you wouldn't care to fix it.

Did you get it from a seller out in Cali that had about 6 Cannon bars for sale that either had been primed or painted black?

Well that makes me feel better about not jumping on any of those. Thanks! :poke:

I like how his saws for sale always have exactly 157 lbs of compression, or something of that sort. Ya sure dude because the picture looks more like 156.5 to me.

Latest posts

Back