oregon work detail info needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1953greg

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hey guys,

i have a chance for a 3 month work detail in oregon this summer. location choices are kalmath falls, redmond, john day, and ontario.
wife included also.

which would you choose and why?

thanks 1953greg

Redmond.

Like said airport if needed. Bend is close and has everything that you would ever need from high end clothes shopping for her to farm stores and tractor shops and everything in between. All luxuries(sp) are close at hand, like brew pubs, gyms for those who work out, to what ever you could want. Also you are 10 min from being so far from civilization that you would swear you are the only people on earth. Good fishin close by good hunting close also if you're around that long.

The other options are nice also but if I had my choice it would be Redmond. If you're into it and you're around at the right time of the year there is lots of rodeo going on around that part of the state. If ya like looking at critters there is an elk ranch/farm in Sisters and another out Prineville way someplace.

When ya get here take your missus or who ever you are with to the Black Bear in Madras, we stop there when ever we're on that side of the state. Also check out the Mirror Pond brew pub(pretty sure thats whats it's called) in Bend. If you can get the number make reservations for the Cowboy Dinner Tree out in silver Lake, there menu is easy depending on the day steak one day chicken the next, no electricity all generators and candles.

If ya have more questions send a PM I'll try to help ya all I can.

Be warned ya may not want to leave Oregon's a great place

Owl

I'm from Redmond

The Redmond / Bend area can be a little spendy for finding rentals.
Redmond definitely cheaper than Bend.
Bend has a lot to offer for an Eastern Oregon town (50,000 plus plus-shopping, medical, some concerts). The Cascades near Bend/Redmond might offer the neatest things to do in the way of a fairly full spectrum of outdoor recreation.

Redmond is more livable than Bend. Traffice still a problem at both places.

I think the neatest of these communities listed is John Day. Small and they still have a cattle drive through town and the people there are proud of it. Even if they do get lots of cow pies and have there flowers eaten up. The narrow but long John Day Valley has a lot of alfalfa grown next to the John Day River. This is incredibly neat because the number of deer that come down to graze at dusk is astounding. John Day might only be 3,000 people.

The biggest item is undoubtedly what your spouse is looking for. If She doesn't have friends lined up already, Redmond/Bend probably offers the best chance to find a niche.

If you want, I could fax you some classified ads from the Redmond and Bend papers on rentals.

Read: Redmond

As the others here have said, Redmond is the best and only choice of these 4 towns. K Falls is pretty dead. Ontario is way out there in the middle of nowhere (as is K Falls). John Day is OK with a lot of cool geological stuff around, but a small town way out there. Not much to do at night there. All of these places are east of the Cascades and thus will be HOT in summer months.

If you are into rock hounding, off roading, white water rafting, camping, fishing, or whatever, go to Redmond. The Cascades are a hop and a skip from there, on the back side of 3 Sisters from our side. Also Crater Lake, gobs of BLM hikes, water falls, the Cascade peaks (3 Sisters, Jefferson, Hood), a few hour drve to the coast or Portland, yadda yadda.

Three Sisters

If the Three Sisters Wilderness was on the East Coast, it would be the most visited National Park in the US.

3 Sisters

Yah, I go to the Sisters area for off-roading, hiking, fishing and camping and there are few people there any time of year. You can see the peaks from several places Eugene where I grocery shop once a week. You can also see the Sisters from the fire lookout a few miles above our house here. One of my favorite spots in the Sisters Wilderness area is an old abandoned look-out that oversees the whole mid Cascade range, the Rogue and Umpqua Vally areas. It is a quilted patchwork of trees in various states of being planted to being cut from horizon to horizon. Not unlike that around here though. The logging roads behind the house here go for hundreds of square miles toward the coast.

Snowing like crazy here today... a snow day. :rockn:

John Day. For being a small town, there are a lot of attractive young girls there. Wait, you already have a wife. It's a nice area, but I'm a small town kind of guy. I would like to live in John Day for a few years. BUT, Redmond would be a better choice for you and your situation.

redmond

redmond,
by far the best city of the four.... more to do, central location. Three Sisters, Bend, Eugene, Portland all a few hours drive not that i am wishing to diss. any of the other locations but if i had to it would be redmond i grew up in cottage grove oregon and lived in and worked all over western and eastern OR.

thanks guys

i just knew you knew the scoop. i really needed some first hand info

not a definite yet. depends on wheather my daughter/hubby and my 6 yo grandson moves on to grad school or not. aint missing a summer w/ my bud.

will print all the replies for reference

thanks again

Latest posts

Back