OT - bid sniping on eBay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at some of the other stuff he's sold and I think he is a dealer. Him having two of these saws reinforces that notion.
Finnbear

I looked at some of the other stuff he's sold and I think he is a dealer. Him having two of these saws reinforces that notion.
Finnbear

I was kind of thinking that he may have bought the stuff from a dealer
that was closing their doors.

Hope every thing works out. I'm waiting on my first e-bay saw
to get here..........another 026, like I need 3 of them.

I use Auctiionsniper whenever I really get serious about buying. I sold 10,000+ items on ebay and other auctions and sniper bids never bothered me a bit. 'Always glad to have another bid whenever it came.
Phil

What am I missing?

Could someone please explain to me what advantage the sniping services provide over ebay's proxy bidding? I've used that for the 20+ things I've purchased through ebay and never felt like I needed additional features but maybe I'm missing out on something. Proxy bidding is also a "set it and forget it" bidding method. Anybody used both and found proxy bidding inferior?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted by Lakeside earlier:
The "bid early bid high" strategy only helps ebay (fees)... People will "fish" for your max bid... cranking up the base price.

I can't believe the prices of 041FB & AV, and 041G go for over $400 :jawdrop:

First off I think it's crazy to buy an 041!!! Don't keep trying to keep alive obsolete saws!! I get customers daily that act like I am personally responsible for not having the parts in stock even when Stihl discontinues them. I understand that people want to keep a good saw going even if it's an older model, but why do people insist on fixing certain saw models (not referring to the 041 specifically) when it will cost more to fix than to buy the new saw that is built better and performs better than what they have. I know not all new models are fantastic, but I hate to see a customer spend hundreds fixing their 031 with points when there are many superior current products out there that won't cost them much if any more (whether it be stihl, husky, dolmar, etc.)

on another note, in some ways i kinda like it when bidsnipers don't win an auction, it feels too much like cheating to me.

Could someone please explain to me what advantage the sniping services provide over ebay's proxy bidding? I've used that for the 20+ things I've purchased through ebay and never felt like I needed additional features but maybe I'm missing out on something. Proxy bidding is also a "set it and forget it" bidding method. Anybody used both and found proxy bidding inferior?

Thanks,
Dave

No one has a chance to top your bid when using the soft ware because it places it so late in the auction, ie. eight seconds before the close of the auction.

First off I think it's crazy to buy an 041!!! Don't keep trying to keep alive obsolete saws!! I get customers daily that act like I am personally responsible for not having the parts in stock even when Stihl discontinues them. I understand that people want to keep a good saw going even if it's an older model, but why do people insist on fixing certain saw models (not referring to the 041 specifically) when it will cost more to fix than to buy the new saw that is built better and performs better than what they have. I know not all new models are fantastic, but I hate to see a customer spend hundreds fixing their 031 with points when there are many superior current products out there that won't cost them much if any more (whether it be stihl, husky, dolmar, etc.)

Why do people restore old tractors, car, airplanes........Plan and simple, Its what ever floats your boat!

No one has a chance to top your bid when using the soft ware because it places it so late in the auction, ie. eight seconds before the close of the auction.

I understand that sniping software allows a person to get a bid in during the final seconds of an auction. But isn't that only getting that bidder ahead of a person sitting at the pc bidding manually and earlier? Wouldn't an ebay proxy bid of $100 still be the high bid over a last 1 second attempted snipe bid of $99? It seems to me the snipeware's advantage would be when the item has not been bid up and there isn't a proxy bid out there that's higher than the snipe bid.

I may be jaded but I don't think there are that many real bargains slipping through ebay and there can't be many people around who haven't heard of the snipeware. In the end the high bid is the high bid and how does one know if he actlually sniped something or simply was the bidder willing to pay the most?

I guess I better learn to use one then! Not being a high volume ebayer though, it'll be tough to tell if it makes any difference for me.

Thanks all for the information.

It would only trump an equal proxy bid if the person submitting the bid either manually or by sniper was the original bidder on the item. Then, equal bid advantage goes to the first bidder. Otherwise, it's the highest bid when the auction closes. There's no software available that will give you an advantage outside of those parameters; nor should there be. It would be fraudulent. The only advantage sniping gives you is to eliminate other bidders' competitive urges.
Phil

It would only trump an equal proxy bid if the person submitting the bid either manually or by sniper was the original bidder on the item. Then, equal bid advantage goes to the first bidder. Otherwise, it's the highest bid when the auction closes. There's no software available that will give you an advantage outside of those parameters; nor should there be. It would be fraudulent. The only advantage sniping gives you is to eliminate other bidders' competitive urges.
Phil

Yep, that about says it. If you use the proxy (ebay) bid and put your highest bid on days or hours earlier, you give the other guy the opportunity to fish you out, pushing the price up in the process. If you say out of it until the end you have a better chance of winning. That's the beauty of sniping

Yep, that about says it. If you use the proxy (ebay) bid and put your highest bid on days or hours earlier, you give the other guy the opportunity to fish you out, pushing the price up in the process. If you say out of it until the end you have a better chance of winning. That's the beauty of sniping

I'm not sure me saying "trumps" was the correct term... but all I can say is that every single time i have used a sniper... I won the auction.;)

Gary

I'm not sure me saying "trumps" was the correct term... but all I can say is that every single time i have used a sniper... I won the auction.;)

Gary

I can't say that I've had the same success, but then I am cheap.:biggrinbounce2:

I'm not an ebay expert but I do tend to watch items, and will buy parts which seem to still be reasonably priced. I was wondering how those folks were getting the bids in at the last second. It would seem though that at that point you bidding what someone else thinks the items worth. They are out bidding the high bid.
As far as finding a bargain, when millions have access to a site your going to find it hard to get a bargain. Granted only a small percentage of those are looking at a particular item, but that's still a lot.
One saw I was watching, only because the guy sells a lot of the same type of saws that he apparently buys used saws, rebuilds, cleans up ect. Seems to do a nice job. He also gets what I feel is a great buck for them. A used McCulloch 650 real clean, pulled $541.00. I know something is worth what ever someone's willing to pay for it but you can buy a new saw with the same displacement at that price. You could probably by the NOS parts for and assemble the entire saw for that kind of $. Maybe bidders are uninformed but it would seem like a lot of it just the winning of the auction or lots of beer. I wouldn't be supprised if that same saw shows up again because the winning bidder doesn't pay up.

Back