OT Variant on Craig's List scam....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a snowblower attachment listed for sale on Craig’s list. Here’s an example of what I am calling a scam response I got from my ad:

(from potential buyer)

Hello,
Do you still have this items for sale and hope the condition
is still exactly as described in the AD?

(my response)

Well, the tarp is now covering it and the snow has frozen around it…...

(from potential buyer)

Sounds Good. I’m very busy with work and other important obligations, I will have look to meet you in person but presently i am out of town for business and will be back from Jersey City next week. I will like to proceed with payment via E-check .E-check is just a means to send bank check to your e-mail instead of mailing it to you as i cant get around to mail a check at the moment. You will only need a business check paper to print the check from your e-mail and have it cash. You will be able to purchase the business check paper at staples, walmart, office max or any stationery store at cost of $20. I will reimburse you with the cost of supplies to your asking price. I’m in no rush with you till funds has been cleared before pick .I will await your email with the following information so that i can send the check to you once you have the supplies.
1) Full Name(2) Address and(3) Phone Number.(4)Amount Asking
Get back to me asap.

(from me)

Sorry, because of your questions in your original post I will require your in person inspection of the item before any transaction. Contact me again when you are in town.

I haven’t heard back from him. If I did, I would also require cash.

Be careful out there everyone!

Shari

yeah, i've had a few of those. absolute vagueness gives it away.

i used to get an email for price quotes on caterpillar and cummins parts and i'd give 'em stupid prices and demand cash... one fellow kicked back and forth with somesuch over a bicycle until he "sold" them a bike made of chewing gum or macaroni or similar for 10,000. it was hilarious.

sometimes i mess with 'em, sometimes i don't...be careful out there.:spam:phish

Last edited:
I send them the name, address, phone number of the county sheriff. If they are just asking for the address, I email them the address of the PD next town over and tell them to just come by in about 45 minutes as I am leaving work now and don't have internet at home. C'mon over, lol.

"The day I get outa prison, my own brother picks me up in......a Police car!"

..........greatest movie ever made!............

go to scambaiters.com and search for the adventures of cole and the laptop computers. pages and pages of emails with a guy overseas scamming on laptops. quite a large group of people who go back and forth with the scammers, all for sport. really funny stuff.

My son was selling a camera on craigs list, and before I knew it, a check came to the house from one of these idiots. The boy e-mailed him back and said the check was at the county police station. Never heard back from them.

Little off topic but the other day my wife was informed she had a 1 million dollar check coming to her from Nigeria (I think), just needed some info and a few $$$$ to get it all cleared up and get the ball rolling.......Looks like I'll be having a real Merry Christmas, and couple of new saws.:dizzy: Sad when they get a sucker especially when their elderly.

I've noticed lately CL ads stating only contact by phone, no emails. Makes good sense. If they refuse to call you then they aren't lajit. The whole premise of CL is person to person transactions. I saw a show once about CL and the owners said they didn't want it to be Ebay. Part of the thinking is only local ads can be placed contributing to local transactions.
On a side note with all the publicity these scams have gotten you would think they would have run there course. Hard to believe there is still enough suckers out there to keep it going.

I've noticed lately CL ads stating only contact by phone, no emails. Makes good sense. If they refuse to call you then they aren't lajit. The whole premise of CL is person to person transactions. I saw a show once about CL and the owners said they didn't want it to be Ebay. Part of the thinking is only local ads can be placed contributing to local transactions.
On a side note with all the publicity these scams have gotten you would think they would have run there course. Hard to believe there is still enough suckers out there to keep it going.

I know why people do this, but I think that the most important thing a poster can do is POST A PICTURE! If you are selling, be prepared to show what you have and you will eliminate 90% of the e mails from the kinda, sorta interested crowd.

I know why people do this, but I think that the most important thing a poster can do is POST A PICTURE! If you are selling, be prepared to show what you have and you will eliminate 90% of the e mails from the kinda, sorta interested crowd.

Along with a photo of the item, here's my ad:

Snowblower attachment for Craftsman riding mower - $375

36" wide, model #842-240724 $375

So his first question as to 'is the condition the same' had me laughing right off the bat because the only reference to condition was the photo in the ad which is why I told him the tarp was now covering it and the snow had frozen. What a hoot!

Shari

Latest posts

Back