Ouch, bleepin farmers!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only land I cut on is farmland and most is fencerows! My buds are farmers so I can relate. To them trees are just lost acres!

But that line about payin retail for everything ...gotta call ya on that one! I wish I could buy fuel for half price and write off chainsaws, quads, horses, clothing, every vehicle under the sun, all the tools, heck even rifles and ammo! Everything a farmer buys is a writeoff against that crop sold at wholesale prices. Not sayin it shouldn't be that way cuz not too many farmers I know are rich but paying retail is not really how it is~!

Thank god for write offs! Or else the property taxes will kill you.

Only thing is, finding the money to buy the things to write off. :dizzy:

And fuel half price? Here, buying 1000 gallon of offroad saves you about 6cent per gallon.

Thing is, 40 years ago the trees werent there, just a new fence. Now the posts have broken and the wire has rusted apart in places and they have to nail it off to the trees over the years. Then the trees grow into it.

I have to cut trees like this all day to clear out old fence rows and build new fences. Sucky job and hard on chains. You learn how to read the trees though. But you will slip up on occasion.

And oh yea, Im a farmer too. :cheers:

Learning to read trees: Was asked to take down a locust with the top blown out. Eyeballed - perfect line of trees right on the property line. 3 faint scars - looks like a 3 wire fence. I'll cut about 6" above the top one. Yep, hit a jacketed bullet.

Harry K

OUCH!!

The only thing worse than finding junk in the wood, is finding junk ya knew was there and just didn't cut far enough away from it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

LOL. Two years ago I chained/cabled to pull one back from the lean. Fell it, tore into it brushing it out. Warned myself to watch for the chain but hit it anyhow.

This year I cut the end of my best tow strap off after telling myself as I began the cut to be careful as the strap would be there.

Harry K

Did the bullet do any real damage? The reason why I ask is because I hit dozens of nails in a log I was cutting on my band mill, and it really had no effect on the blade, I've even hit them with the planer and the knives were ok as well.
I believe it was because most of the bullets are just soft lead. Some do have copper jackets, but even those didn't dull the band mill blade.:cheers:

Didn't hurt a thing. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=78270

Homeowner trees are much worse. I have hit just about everything in them including electrical wire, fender washers, rocks, squirrel traps, cement and nails galore. Ever try to cut up a tree that some kids had once built a tree house in?? Bullets are no big deal. Just a quick flash of silver chips and you continue cutting.

what are the odds?

In '75 while clearcutting 200 acres for a new reservoir,I was limbing up a hardwood tree.Going along as usual,I reach to undercut a limb on the far side of the log under compression;What the f-ck was that?My chain was totally toast.I look at the chain and it has that nasty "I just hit a rock" look.Years prior someone must have blasted to put in a chainlink fence line on the edge of the State Park in which the reservoir was being cut.This happened 45-50 feet up in a 65-70 foot tree.The skidder operator came over and when"dawn broke over Marblehead"as to how this happened,we just roared laughing.I wish I had taken a picture.Dayum,maybe that's why my right elbows seen better days.I'd touch up my chains often,3-5 times a day.A chain would last a week.

I didn't hit this, but I found a railroad spike in the bottom of my woodburner once.

One time I cut down a hemlock tree for some one that was right beside the house. Start cutting and wham. I hit steel. Turns out to be a stake and wire that was used to hold the tree straight when it was planted.

A couple of years ago a wind storm blew the top out of a huge Oak that is on the corner of my farm. It is also at the t intersection of two remote gravel roads.
I am pretty sure that almost every one that drove that road for the last 150 years took a shot or 50 at the tree.
I found hundreds of bullets in it all the way from .22 to .45s.

They didn't seem to affect the chain much, however the nails from countless election signs did not help at all.

Last year I found a small section of a disk in a Oak. That one ruined a chain.

Hardest thing I ever hit was a horseshoe. This was miles from any houses or roads but this land had been logged for generations using horses and oxen. I figure a horse threw a shoe and it was at some point hung up on a limb that was more of a crotch and the tree just completely grew around it. Chains and horseshoes don get along well as it cleaned 5 teeth completely off and buggered 15-16 more, the jump from the 066 was scary as heck also,TG for chainbrakes.
Pioneerguy600

I had just put together my "new" 044 that got a ported cylinder, so I just put a new chain on it and went out to the log pile and decide to noodle a 2ft chunk of pine only to find out that my younger brother had decided to fill the end of it with 16d duplex nails "dupes" :dizzy::monkey:

Latest posts

Back