Ouch got dang it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bump_r

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Please keep your thumbs clear of the gap between your splitter foot and log, I'm just sayin'...

Yeah, that gap closes. Summabeech that hurts. Crushed the tip of my left thumb, bone's shattered, split the skin like a grape. Gonna loose the nail, for sure. Didja ever have one of those times where you really didn't want to remove your glove to see what's inside? Not cool.

Had that happen a LONG time ago, was very cold that day (about 0) was out splitting wood somone called my name kept running the splitter. My hands were so cold and numb didnt even feel the splitter smash it. Smashed it and kept running the splitter for about another 1/2 hour. Went inside took my glove off, filled with blood, nail fragments etc. It was on my pinkie finger.

Yep, been there and done that.Another real good way to smash your finger without even thinking about it...
Was splitting wood late one day, log split most of the way down,it was a nasty piece of elm that basically just tore rather than split.
Pulled the "V" piece of wood back out and ran the wedge back through the log, taking a different course through the wood, leaving my thumb hanging into the crack of the first split.When the second split started, it naturally closed the gap of the first one with my thumb in it.
Now that was bad enough, but when I felt the wood closing in I let go of the valve for a second and tried to jerk my hand out.Wouldnt budge, and in my panic to release my thumb, I hit the valve forward instead of back.
Lost the thumb nail, busted the skin wide open, and let every neighbor within a mile know about it.

Didja ever have one of those times where you really didn't want to remove your glove to see what's inside? Not cool.

Although not a wood splitter a 28oz. framing hammer swung buy someone else will do the same. I was on a ladder and slipped when I put my hand out to catch myself it unfortunately landed on a half driven 16p nail with the hammer following :censored:. I climbed down and didn't want to look in my glove. It hurt more the next day changing the bandages.

Yep, been there and done that.Another real good way to smash your finger without even thinking about it...
Was splitting wood late one day, log split most of the way down,it was a nasty piece of elm that basically just tore rather than split.
Pulled the "V" piece of wood back out and ran the wedge back through the log, taking a different course through the wood, leaving my thumb hanging into the crack of the first split.When the second split started, it naturally closed the gap of the first one with my thumb in it.
Now that was bad enough, but when I felt the wood closing in I let go of the valve for a second and tried to jerk my hand out.Wouldnt budge, and in my panic to release my thumb, I hit the valve forward instead of back.
Lost the thumb nail, busted the skin wide open, and let every neighbor within a mile know about it.

Did the exact same thing about 3 weeks ago, but I was lucky enough to only catch the very tip, when I jerked my hand out the glove stayed in the log. Whew! that was close. I have since slowed down on my splitting, can't get in a hurry or something like that will always happen.

Yep, my nephew was helping me split some of dad's black locust a few years ago. Got in a hurry, and took my nephew's fingertip right off. I shut off the splitter, helped Brandon to the house, made sure he was safely on his way to the ER, and then promptly passed out.

Had one close on me one time too. I was by myself, and as one log came off the splitter, I had a finger in the crack. It snapped shut, leaving me there in intense pain, holding a 40# log. I considered; 1) trying to get in the truck and driving for help, and 2) trying to get to the brick phone plugged into my truck.

I was standing there thinking "If only I had something to wedge this thing open with", when I glanced down at the splitter.

Duh.

Not me

I prefer to just let one half of a nice 30 inch round fall on the arch of my foot. I think now I see why they put them wings on the side of some splitters.

I can relate only it was a car door.Ever see a thumb 1/4" thick and spurtin everytime the heart pumps.
Oh and the hammer has been known to bang that same thumb.
One day I was doing some framing.
Smacked her real good....really opened it up then about 30 minutes later did it again to the same thumb.
Talk about adding insult to injury....bleeb iddy bleeb and bleep at the top of my lungs.
Had to apologise later to my God for what I said.

Needless to say the nail bed is cracked and the thumb nail always grows split.

Yeah I've been using my new Fiskars lately and learned a good lesson today about how sharp it is. Went to pull it out of the round, my hand slipped and ended up taking a big ol' chunk out of my thumb. :censored:

Came close a couple times the other day running my new splitter. Habits developed running my old homebuilt did not transfer well to the new one. There are more 'pinch points' and in different locations as well as a new valve type.

Harry K

I can relate only it was a car door.Ever see a thumb 1/4" thick and spurtin everytime the heart pumps.
Oh and the hammer has been known to bang that same thumb.
One day I was doing some framing.
Smacked her real good....really opened it up then about 30 minutes later did it again to the same thumb.
Talk about adding insult to injury....bleeb iddy bleeb and bleep at the top of my lungs.
Had to apologise later to my God for what I said.

Needless to say the nail bed is cracked and the thumb nail always grows split.

Last year i had my worse day at work, i hit the same finger THREE times a row with hammer, luckily my dad always told me to hit lightly when hitting finger....

Now, I don't care who you are that there's funny. As you get older you learn to look for ways to not get hurt, noticed that crack thing on the splitter right before I went ahead and did it. How bout when I ran a finger through a sprocket on my motorcycle, under the chain. Now that hurt.....Lanny

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I have a hole burnt through the nail to relieve pressure; it's a small hole, but it doesn't take much. Well, sometimes it quits oozing, and I have to de-crust the thing. You should see the look on people's faces when I explain my soaking my thumb in water as "I'm unclogging my thumbnail".

Didja ever have one of those times where you really didn't want to remove your glove to see what's inside? Not cool.

Oh yea I just taped the glove and finger tight with electrical tape and headed straight to the hospital, about 9 stitches latter I was ok, I looked the other way when they took the glove off.

About a month ago, I wasn't paying much attention as my wedge was retracting while splitting green hackberry. The piece hadn't so much split as opened. When the wedge cleared the gap, my fingers were stuck inside. It hurt, but not alot. The worst thing is it scared me and took a few seconds to get brave enough to pull my hand out. I was so relieved that I wasn't seriously hurt, and you can bet I paid attention for the rest of the day.

Back