Out of curiosity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLHX Storm

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Lost somewhere in the mountains of the southeast!
Out of curiosity, what is the hardest wood y'all have ever split or tried to split. I have looked on some of those BTU charts but I really don't think they are very accurate when it comes to how well a chunk of whatever type of wood splits. For instance, on one it says Gum is easy to split, but I have seen posts that say it is damn near impossible.

And, when y'all put the hardest wood, if you wouldn't mind, put where it can be found too. That way when I get a wild hair up my butt, I can go find some n get some exercise. :msp_smile:

Red elm is one of the most miserable I've come across. If it's fresh cut the maul just bounces off and when it dries out some it is so stringy every piece is a fight to separate. I gave up trying to split it by hand. A log splitter on a skid steer tears it apart much easier. I'm in NW Illinois and it's all over up here. It burns great and usually has no bark so it is a popular firewood in these parts.

Sycamore is hard as hell to split when wet. Not much heat to show for the work. It burns pretty quick from what I have seen which is not much. All and all I would say sycamore is not really hard but is not worth the effort to split it.

yup, elm. I would not take it for free unless it was already split. No hydro here.

Generally speaking, sweet gum and sycamore. I've split some sycamore that splits fairly easy, though. Elm is not usually as bad as these. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding these two in your part of the country.

Last edited:
Elm sycamore and hickory I split some hickory today and it was stringy and full of knots! But I believe elm is the toughest I have "sheared" lol

In 1978 I got some "Stuff" that just needed to be halved. Nice straight grained perfect kind to split right, WRONG!!! The maul didn't even dent it. Being 18 yo and full of pizz and vinegar I couldn't let this wood get the better of me WRONG again. That tree kicked by butt. The land owner said it was red maple. I really don't know what it was +- 80' nice and straight, no bark, standing dead. That stuff was stout. It did burn well though.I have never got into anything like it since.

Fifelaker, +- 80' nice and straight, no bark, standing dead...... sounds like red elm instead of red maple to me

Hardest ones I have seen are fresh sycamore, although as it ages it gets better, and it makes wonderful noodles that rot quick so they are a good garden amendment.

Siberian elm in a yard. It is fine to noodle.

Some king of yard maple, bark was falling off so don't know what kind, also noodled fine.

As I have started to acquire saws in the 70 to 80 cc class, I think less about splitting wood that is tough, I just noodle it.

It all sells, so I take it all.

Dan

Elm IS tough, gum refers to several different kinds of trees so it's

not enough to say gum is hard or easy, you have to know what wood "gum" is. When fresh cut, larger rounds of elm are not impossible if you box the sides off. The same technique that makes sycamore, hickory, sweet gum, and hackberry splitting easy with maul or ax. Not like red oak but easy. If hydro splitters had turn tables instead of ridgid pushers they might handle twisted grain better.

I have several times been working with guys running hydros and split more of the same wood than up to three guys working a splitter.

So tools that work best on some wood don't work so well on others.

For me small elm is the most difficult to split of the trees that grow here.

Cheesecutter, red elm is the "easy" elm to split. Siberian (already mentioned) and American elm are stringier yet.

Another one for the books is green cottonwood. I've heard it's much easier after it's dried out some, but that doesn't fit my M.O. Cut, split, stack, done. Of course, when you've got 50+ tons of Bubbasplitter backing ya up, who really cares if the wood protests a bit? :D

Cheesecutter, red elm is the "easy" elm to split. Siberian (already mentioned) and American elm are stringier yet.

I agree, Red Elm is usually no problem splitting... most of it is pretty straight grained and "pops" open much like Red Oak. Admittedly, the splitting gets a bit tougher when it gets dry and hard... ya' need just a bit more force to get the split started, but it still tends to "pop". Now, American Elm is another story... that stuff can cause an 8# maul to bounce like it was made of rubber, even when swung by the largest behemoth of a man. American Elm will also "prove" a hydraulic splitter... forcing the machine to "work" during the full length of the split (and still leave the two pieces attached solidly enough you can not pull them apart).

One time, and one time only, in my young, dumb and bullet proof past, I split a large American Elm using wedges, sledge and maul... just one time, never again... I made myself a promise to never do it again... and I never have. It is the soul reason I have a hydraulic splitter, without it I would ignore American Elm like I ignore the people who hug trees.

Where do you find it??? Well, at one time, before Dutch Elm Disease, the American Elm grew near everywhere from the Atlantic to the Rockies... but now, east of the Mississippi, they're near extinct, and the further east you go the rarer they are. West of the Mississippi there are still some hold-outs; I have a couple (live) in my woodlot I couldn't put my arms around if they were twice as long as they are now... but DED has been making another run at them the last couple years, I do believe I will see the end of the (wild, non-hybridized) American Elm in my lifetime.

I've scrounged a truckload of Elm from our local landfill. I brought it home and cut it all up, split one log in half after a half hour and broke my maul. After that; tried the log splitter and after 10 minute had to cut the wild pile of stringy spaghetti log off the wedge and than returned cut logs to landfill where said elm came from. Stacked them up nicely for the next poor fool that gets a brainstorm idea to try to process some elm.

I just got no luck with it. I'll stick to the Black Locust.

And by-the-way Storm, ya' got guts girl... askin' a bunch of guys about their hardest wood.
Talk about an opening that ain't been exploited... evidently ya' got more guts than the guys here do or they'd have jumped all over that!

it just shows what kind of "gentlemen" are on AS.:hmm3grin2orange: FS . Oh and by the way STORM, elm, dont want no stinkin elm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back