out w/ the veggie, back to petro base

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been running used soy oil filtered down to 1 micron...same stuff my truck runs on:)

No problems after probably 50 gallons of the stuff. Bit thick in the colder weather. Saw smells like fried food when she's working hard, mmmmmm yummy, not good when you're hungry.

I wonder the difference between used versus new veg oils. I know you are not supposed to put new oil into a diesel only used, due to the cooking/heating process. My used soy pours down to 20 degrees, try that with new oil.

Oh yea, we switched after we did a few jobs in the rain and saw the petro slicks on the pavement. Did not feel good about sending that stuff into a vegi garden we worked over either. Recently we had a job over water, pristeen adirondack lake, oil slick all in the water, homeowner was looking at it..felt great to tell him it was vegi oil.

Last edited:
Interesting, thought I'd posted my experiences on this very OP thread, seems ta been misplaced, hmmmm, folks muckin' with threads agin' ?, btw, canola isn't veggie oil and anyone who takes the time to read the canola oil thread will realize it ain't the same! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:deadhorse: :greenchainsaw: :monkey: :help:

Gah! (and still no problems after around 30 tanks of canola, not veggie, canola, get it right guys) :p

:bang:

:cheers:

Serge

We need a link to that, Sprig.

There have been 7 or 8 threads on biodegradable oils in chainsaw / bar systems. As well, there are many dozens of threads on regular commercial bar oil, and just about every lubricating varient out there. 5 years worth of built-up information, and we can start linking to every thread out there.

But to summarize this body of growing information, certain things are true and can not be debated. One is that pretty much ANYTHING other than vegetable oil is toxic (not counting the new emulsifier lubes).

How toxic?
How do we know?

We don't.

But plain common sense is going to tell you the more exposure to a toxic substance, the worse that is. Repetitive exposure is worse than occasional. When you use bar oil repetitively, as in every time you saw through a tank of gas, you get bar oil exposure. It gets on your cloths, gloves hands, other tools. Groundies are going to spill it. Wind can blow bar-oil/sawdust mixes back at you. That much is true about repetitive, day-to-day use of petroleum bar and chain lube; the same for vegetable oil. I think we could say all the motions would be the same.

The difference is, petro bar oil is persistent. It doesn't go away very quickly, there's not much in nature that can degrade it and make it less toxic, other than volatile toxic molecules evaporating off. Once it permeates your adjacent tools, it is with you. It WILL be on your saw, it will fly off the bar. You have to deal with it whenever you clean your bar groove, oiler holes and sideplate. Your exposure is assured. Your repeated exposure and how much ends up in your home, now that's dose dependent, depending on how much sawing you do, and many other factors. With regular bar oil, it builds up over time because it does not degrade, but it does eventually permeate the saw maintenence area (your garage?) and the places where you keep and refuel your saws.

If you use one gallon of bar oil a week, by about one year's time, you have cast a 55 gallon barrel of low-grade petro out into the environment. If that's not how it works, I will gladly stand corrected.

But through the cooperation of fellow Arborists and their volunteer efforts here at this fine forum we are subjecting our saws to being 'canola Guinea pigs', we have here a veritable veggie oil think tank. A tank-by-tank think tank?

only to whom it may concern

This veggie oil as a bar lubricant is directed at the repetitive users. I hope the homeowners and occasional users find all of this enlightening, but it's not meant for you. All my concerns are directed at my fellow Arborist brothers and regular chainsaw users. We are the ones making the impact, and tolerating the overall dirtiness of sticky petroleum-based bar and chain lube. As invisible as you might want to make it, bar oil is an unhealthy substance to living organisms.

Vegetable oil is food. Vegetable oil breaks down rapidly in the environment. And vegetable oil will coat your saw eventually, as does petro bar, and you will need to do occasional cleaning and maintenence, as with petro bar. And some of this natural degradation of the oil will take place on and possibly in your saw. Problem identified, and now how to solve it?

Veggie works great, as it is very clean and pure, and as long as there is flow, there is a constant source of older oil being replaced by newer oil. It is in recesses, as with petro bar, that hold a pocket of oil or an oil/sawdust mix. Receses need to be identified, and you need to inspect and clean them out now and again, as with bar oil. With veggie, you simply become a little more vigilant, become one with your chainsaw and fear not the removal of a clutch wheel and cover plate twice a year.

We should show how this is done :)

Were these tanks run on petroleum diesel before switching to biodiesel?

Also from biodiesel.org: "Use of tanks or lines made of brass, bronze, and copper or lead, tin, and zinc (i.e. galvanized) may cause high sediment formation and filter clogging and are not recommended."

In my mind what I take from this is: If you are going to use Canola over regular B&C you should probably do so from the begining and not mid way through. Just a thought.

Canola oil is refined from plant seeds. IE a vegetable oil. In fact one of the most highly unsaturated ones, much more so than olive oil. Therefore more inclined to gum up. If I was going to use vegetable oil, I would be very careful that the last tank of theday was dino.

A nightmare for a home owner like me whose saw sets for months.

I came into this thread w preconcieved attitude. I liked the idea of veggie oil for many of the same reasons: oil slicks, carcinogens, a few other reasons, I used many gallons 4 a year or more. Yes problems arose, crusting, etc. But I wasnt c leaning my saws much. Now I'm thinking go back to veggie and clean my saws more. Thanks Arborist site.

Back