Outdoor Forced Air-Insulate supply line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asg13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As the title states..

Just looking for some ideas..anyone insulate or frame in so to speak the HOT AIR SUPPLY?

Looking to hold as much heat as possible!

Thanks

Depending on how far of a run you have you may not need much. My understanding is that the air travels so fast through it that very little if any will escape. Mine is home built out of triple wall chimney pipe, 10" center, then 11" and the outer one is 15". I insulated it with vermiculite. My runs are only the length of one piece of pipe, about 3' plus the box on the side of the furnace.

forced air supply

2nd year running my converted wood furnace.
i've got about 7 ft. of duct outside my foundation.
just wrapped mine in fiberglass wall ins. , then loosly
wrapped that with poly drop cloth(plastic). taped ends with aluminum ducttape.
180 deg. air at my registers in house, with flue temp running 300 deg.s

it works for me.

2nd year running my converted wood furnace.
i've got about 7 ft. of duct outside my foundation.
just wrapped mine in fiberglass wall ins. , then loosly
wrapped that with poly drop cloth(plastic). taped ends with aluminum ducttape.
180 deg. air at my registers in house, with flue temp running 300 deg.s

it works for me.

PLEASE post any and all pics you can for the rest of us to see. I am thinking about doing the same thing to heat a small work shop this winter. the idea of using forced hot air is on my list as is a tiny wood stove. I'd like to keep as much room as possible in the shop.

View attachment 257689thanks..I have 10 feet of pipe outside..24 gauge 8" for hot air and return...

I was just thinking of enclosing it somehow!

again, this is not a completed job...I understand things need to be tweaked including chimney height etc.

Last edited:
Insulated Flex-I-Duct should fit right over that pipe. It is used for heating duct in homes. Far easier to install than most wraps. You might consider blown insulation if you plan on enclosing the whole area around the pipes and stove cabinet. To many ways to say until you figure out your BTU losses and budget for this job.

Latest posts

Back