Outdoor furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine

Crown Royal Stove 7300
heating 1800 sq ft. 133 year old house not that well insulated.

This is my 3rd year.

I like it

On the very coldest days, I wish I went with the next size bigger. It will hold a bit more wood.

I get 12 hour burns, but on the colsdest days, the stove temps drop down from 180 to 120's 130's.
NEVER had to relight the after the initial lighting in the fall

Even if down to the minimalest of coals left when I get home, the fans will have the new load fired back up in minutes.

Central 5036 heating 1200 sq house and 2800sq shop to mide 50's. First year using it, goobling alot of wood on these cold days but keeps up. Not many complaints, sometimes I think it could use a draft blower after seeing a buddies with one but it does seem to work fine with natural draft. Like November just mentioned I also don't like smelling like smoke after I fill it.

windwalker, i have a 125 gal. nurse tank in the basement, has room for 4 dom. coils..... i have 4 zones coming off of the nurse tank running taco 007's,
have the outdoor unit set at 185, nurse tank at 140...
ya might think about that for your setup ..

My set up is a little hard to explain. I had no plumbing experience until I installed my OWB. I learned on the fly:)

I only have radiant floor heating set up under one room. 24'x 30'

Currently my hot water comes in from OWB to a water to air HX in plenum (forced air) then exits the HX and runs into a homemade 20ft manifold with 5 nipples.

Each nipple has a 160' run of 1/2 pex between floor joists.

Each run goes to another 20ft long return manifold. From there it goes back to the OWB.

This radiant floor set up is pushed by a booster Taco 007 which works inconjunction with the Taco 011 on the OWB.

I'm losing about 25* in water temp, near as I can tell with an infrared thermometer.

My plan is to install a water to water HX right after it exits the HX in plenum.

My OWB works really well if I shut off the radiant floor. I get much better burn times. Water temp stays up and forced air draft for the furnace doesn't kick on nearly as much.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, just wanted to explain.

Your set up with the extra tank would work well to. Might even work better!

But I already have everthing bought and waiting for the right weather to install.

Stove

My stove is a Heatmor 4th year love it burn year around heat 2400 sq. ft.

20 X 40 Pool in Summer and a Lumber Kiln as needed...

Cant think of any design changes I would make to the stove but you need to be really careful with your system design most dealer just don't understand basic hydronic heating. I seen far to many systems that are just a wreck in the plumbing, HX's and valves.

Mark

That's great!! IMO the simpler the install the better. :biggrinbounce2
Take care,
Kalib
My stove is a Heatmor 4th year love it burn year around heat 2400 sq. ft.

20 X 40 Pool in Summer and a Lumber Kiln as needed...

Cant think of any design changes I would make to the stove but you need to be really careful with your system design most dealer just don't understand basic hydronic heating. I seen far to many systems that are just a wreck in the plumbing, HX's and valves.

Mark

OWB: Mahoning model 300 putting out 250K btu's
House: 3100 sq.ft 2 story victorian that has been remodeled
I'm running two loops with 2 hx and a third for dhw.
It does burn a lot of wood, but I get it for free and as far as burn times I get about 8-12 hours when it's really cold and when it's warmer I can get 18-24 hour. Over all I am happy with it. This is the second year heating with it and I have haad no problems. I will be heating my newly constructed 24x28 garage with it next fall/winter.

4000 sq ft

I've got a medium wood doctor heating 4000 sq ft. all radiant in concrete.
almost no oil burned this year. burns pine.10 hr burn time with pine on very cold windy days. at night 8 hours with pine. bad thing, door is small it seems but if it were bigger I would probably still say it was too small. filling at 8pm when it is below zero with wind blowing, light to see inside at night I have to wear a head lamp to see inside to load wood evenly. do you guys have the same problem on seeing inside at night ? wood under tarps sucks, going to enclose the whole thing this spring, wood and boiler with light to see inside too.
should have done this years ago.:popcorn:

I've heard that Wood Doctor makes a small/thin door. You might be loosing alot of heat out your door because of that. What you want to look for is a good 4 to 6 inch thick door, Taylor's are a good 6 inches thick(firebrick/concrete.) wich holds the heat IN the firebox. I get about 12 to 17 hour burn times out of my Taylor heating my old drafty house and DHW, so I can't complain. Take care,
Kalib
I've got a medium wood doctor heating 4000 sq ft. all radiant in concrete.
almost no oil burned this year. burns pine.10 hr burn time with pine on very cold windy days. at night 8 hours with pine. bad thing, door is small it seems but if it were bigger I would probably still say it was too small. filling at 8pm when it is below zero with wind blowing, light to see inside at night I have to wear a head lamp to see inside to load wood evenly. do you guys have the same problem on seeing inside at night ? wood under tarps sucks, going to enclose the whole thing this spring, wood and boiler with light to see inside too.
should have done this years ago.:popcorn:

Last edited:
Woodmaster 3300. Heating 1250 sq.ft. and DHW. Installed Dec. 3, 2008. 12 hour plus burn times. Burning cherry, hickory, ash, and maple and heating to 74* constantly. I would like to see Woodmaster install a hinged rear access door instead of removing four thumb screws. Love the furnace anyway.

I didn't know with a Woodmaster you had do that to the back door to open it! Kalib
Woodmaster 3300. Heating 1250 sq.ft. and DHW. Installed Dec. 3, 2008. 12 hour plus burn times. Burning cherry, hickory, ash, and maple and heating to 74* constantly. I would like to see Woodmaster install a hinged rear access door instead of removing four thumb screws. Love the furnace anyway.

Latest posts

Back