Outdoor wood burners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutler Tree 23

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey at the end of burning season do you guys drain your water. Then refill it or wash your lines with chemicals then drain it again and add addive and refill your burners with water

I don't have an OWB, but if I did, I wouldn't. Every time it's drained, it's adding a crap load of fresh oxygen. Which grows rust - maybe quite a lot even in what might be a short time before additives get in there again. I would just get the water tested & add more additives if needed. Maybe add a filter if dirt is a concern - but there shouldn't really be much if treatment is done right.

I don't and much of what I read doesn't recommend draining.

I run soft distilled water in mine and check the PH every month to make sure it is where I want it. So in answer to your question no I do not drain it but I do plug up the over flow line and fill it with water to the top. After filling I put a little bit of silicone around the top fill valve to seal it up that way there is no oxygen getting to the metal on the inside of the water jacket to reduce the chance of any corrosion of the metal. I know I am over the top on this but it really doesn't take long to do and it really is good preventive maintenance to extend the life of your OWB.

I don't drain mine. I check the sight tube regularly and add if needed and then in the fall, I add a quart of water treatment as per the manufacturer!

I would say around 8 cords just put up that building a few weeks ago it's 16 foot
Wide by 22 foot long better then having snow
All over my wood

Nice shed! JRIDER, I see your back! Just wondering when we were going to see this years stacks start?

Nice shed! JRIDER, I see your back! Just wondering when we were going to see this years stacks start?
Been way too busy with other stuff unfortunately. Hoping by end of June I have something post worthy.

Latest posts

Back