Outfit the new Dolamr 7900 with Bar & Chain Setups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have all different brands.....i like the sugis on the 346's to shave as much weight as i can and not destroy the sideways balance!! i have carlton and oregons on the 7900's.

The dolmar bars are oregon bars. Maybe I should just stick to the Dolmar bars. They are a tad more expensive but maybe they are worth it.

I do like the look of the windsor bar but looks mean nothing. I'm checking on those GB bars to see if they are old stock or new stock right now.

At the price I'd grab the GB/Husqvarna bar if it's in the gauge you're after.

Not as nicely finished as some but very good bars.You hear of the odd one that the heat treatment wasn't up to snuff but you'd have to be unlucky.

MCW has a huge stockpile of GB Pro Top bars (what the Husky branded ones are) and loves the things.

If you can get a line on a Tsumura or Total bar for a good price, jump at it.
The steel is amazing and finish superb.

How about this bar to go along with your choice of 24"...

Bailey's - 30" Carlton Premium Sprocket Tip Bar

Great bar at a great price.

20", 24", and 30" works good for me.

Didn't realise they had some German bars left.
Shame it's 050, I've standardised on 058.

Excellent steel and a better, more reliable tip than an identical Oregon bar.

May need a little blending where the tip meets the bar, but they are very good pieces of steel.

Oh, almost forgot. Strip the clearcoat before use.
In hard use it will melt everywhere and create one hell of a mess, you'll end up with a woody bar and gummed up channel and oil hole :msp_biggrin:

Paint stripper works a treat.

Last edited:
The 24" is really closer to a 25". A 28" is just 3" longer than the 24". A 32" would be a good compliment to the 24". The dolmar will give you a little more length than a husky does.

May need a little blending where the tip meets the bar, but they are very good pieces of steel.

Oh, almost forgot. Strip the clearcoat before use.
In hard use it will melt everywhere and create one hell of a mess, you'll end up with a woody bar and gummed up channel and oil hole :msp_biggrin:

Paint stripper works a treat.

They have some 30" .058 German bars left also...

Last edited:
I had some issues a few years back with the Windsor bars, the oil holes were not drilled correctly so I've stayed away from then sense. I now run Oregon bars on my Dolmar's and I've been happy with them so far.

Good choice of saw by the way :cheers:

Not trying to talk you out of a 20 and 24'' bar, but I think there too close together to have both for 1 saw, JMO again.

I agree mate. I have a couple of 20" bars for my 7900's but they rarely get used anymore. 24" is my minimum now which is a good balance on a 7900 and you certainly don't notice any extra weight.

Good bars. Probably one of the only bar brands I've never used but a number of guys in the industry swear by them. I'd love to get my mitts on one someday to try but I'm trying to lower my bar inventory - last count I'm running about 20 and as I'm getting older I'm forgetting what chains go with what bar :D I'd love to get an account with Brigg's And Stratton (I think they're still the Windsor/Oregon Australian distributors) but they only deal with OEM dealers wiho have shopfronts.

If you can get a line on a Tsumura or Total bar for a good price, jump at it.
The steel is amazing and finish superb.

I agree Rick. They'd be my choice too, even if sitting next to a Pro Top. Replacement nose sprockets are spendy though :(

And if you do blow a nose sprocket the Oregon replacements fit.

Last edited:
Most Jonsered dealers carry total bars as some will come labeled as jonsered up to 24" I believe. They are very high quality rails.

I've been pleased with 20" and 28" for the stuff we have to cut here in southern MI. It's a nice setup in even the hardest of hardwoods.

Round- or square-filed chisel, as your preference dictates; I like Oregon LGX and Stihl RSLK, respectively. There is no need for skip chain at 28".

I run a 7t sprocket on both bar lengths, and sometimes go a bit lower on my rakers for the 20" bar.

As for bar brands, it isn't rocket science. Buy what you can get tips for locally.

If your going to get a 20" don't waste your money on a 24" when a 28" or 30" is not that much more money. Especially when the saw can handle it with no problem at all! Mine wears a 20" with lgx chain sometimes and a 30" with jgx chain most of the time. My 30" is a close out Carlton from Bailey's only 45.00:D

I ran a quick search for the total bars and it seems that I have half a dozen dealers in the area that may have those bars. I will check them out tomorrow. I really don't want to be too picky about this. I'm going to have a very nice saw and want a very nice bar and chain that cuts great and efficiently.

I ran a quick search for the total bars and it seems that I have half a dozen dealers in the area that may have those bars. I will check them out tomorrow. I really don't want to be too picky about this. I'm going to have a very nice saw and want a very nice bar and chain that cuts great and efficiently.

Nothing wrong with that. Im picky as hell about my stuff lol. Probably worse than a woman about shoes!!:msp_lol:

Does anyone know if the Dolmar 7900 will fit in a Husqvarna box. I'm referring to the orange box you can buy from the Husky dealer to put all your stuff in.

Latest posts

Back