Over 50 Stihl saws stolen SE MI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fedots

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After 5 breakins we are down over 50 Stihls. MS200Ts, MS310S, MS 360S. MS66Os. They are breaking into trucks pass the pins and latches. darn portable sawsalls. All saws have hand etched numbers any help would be apprieciated. Nelson Tree Service Trucks. 419-929-8000

Sorry to hear about your loss. Make sure you keep an eye on craigslist, ebay, and put the word out to any pawn shops for them - anyone stupid enough to steal that many saws is probably stupid enough to try and sell them shortly thereafter. Good call etching numbers on them-should make them easier to ID.

toledo ohio here

I will definitely keep my eye out for that..I watch the pawn shops and garbage sales close for good deals on stihl..I hope someone catches them bastards. nothing worst than a thief.

After 5 breakins we are down over 50 Stihls. MS200Ts, MS310S, MS 360S. MS66Os. They are breaking into trucks pass the pins and latches. darn portable sawsalls. All saws have hand etched numbers any help would be apprieciated. Nelson Tree Service Trucks. 419-929-8000

do you have the serial numbers i can do a little looking around my parts of town ill start hitting pawn shops and gettin the word out

That is too bad. I will keep an eye out for them. Probably an ex-employee. I hate thieves.

Nelson Tree wouldn't have a problem replacing them though, the big tree companies save loads of money by hiring temporary immigrants and college kids. I saw them all summer around here in NEO. Nelson has grown like crazy over the last few years.

That is too bad. I will keep an eye out for them. Probably an ex-employee. I hate thieves.

Nelson Tree wouldn't have a problem replacing them though, the big tree companies save loads of money by hiring temporary immigrants and college kids. I saw them all summer around here in NEO. Nelson has grown like crazy over the last few years.

Sorry no temps here, we do help out the occassional college kid why not. Most of the workers are Full time 40 per week. unless Huricane or storm then 16 on 8 off

Thanks for keeping a look out. be it big or little it hurts everybody.

Uhm... 5 times? Uh... what is up with that. Sounds like you are missing something besides saws.
Like maybe cops? 5 times? I would be like " yo officer , I got robbed five times and you are still here at Wawa drinking coffee."
5 times? What is your level of security? For me, I can see my trucks from the window right now. Also I am not exactly in the limelight over here and I don't bring many people around here I don't know.
You have got to stay there at night til they try again, sounds like they will.

Were all these thefts in Ohio, or were some of them farther away? I've seen your guys in PA and NY, so I know you get around.

how are they getting into the trucks ?

sounds like we got someone that has a lockout kit i would report it to
your states locksmithing license board cause they can start there own investigation see im not just a small engine tech online store im also a licensed north carolina locksmith so who ever is breaking into your vehicle can be charged for having possesion of lock picking equipment unless they have a license and then if they do they can still be held as a felony cause they did not have your approval to open a vehicle i know that one tool show that travels from state to state they sale a locksmith lockout kit that people are not suppose to have unless they are licensed locksmiths or law enforcement agencys

or wrecker company
so

get me some serial # s and i can see if they turn up here in my area never know where people like this will go too

thanks
calvin

if ohio has not got one yet its actually in the works as we speak

Last edited:
how are they getting into the trucks ?
sounds like we got someone that has a lockout kit i would report it to
your states locksmithing license board cause they can start there own investigation see im not just a small engine tech online store im also a licensed north carolina locksmith so who ever is breaking into your vehicle can be charged for having possesion of lock picking equipment unless they have a license and then if they do they can still be held as a felony cause they did not have your approval to open a vehicle i know that one tool show that travels from state to state they sale a locksmith lockout kit that people are not suppose to have unless they are licensed locksmiths or law enforcement agencys
or wrecker company so
get me some serial # s and i can see if they turn up here in my area never know where people like this will go too
thanks
calvin
if ohio has not got one yet its actually in the works as we speak

DUDE :confused: :confused: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Crackheads. just good ones.

Nonsense. It is not illegal to own lockpicks, only to use them in the commision of a crime. I've got a nice set of picks and a nice lockout set and I don't intend to get any sort of license.

Anyway, Nelson's trucks, like most tree sevice trucks, wouldn't require any kind of special equipment to break into. They're about as hard to open as your average rollaway toolbox.

I'm a certified mechanic and when I was still in Ohio I have been called numerous times by the police to pick out a door lock on a vehicle with side impact bags. I was the only guy in town with a pick set which includes the local locksmiths. Granted there are some laws restricting ownership but they are so general almost anyone can own a set. I'm curious what type of trucks they have been getting into because master key sets are getting really easy to get for the larger trucks now.

Last edited:
Crack heads I am sure

I'm a certified mechanic and when I was still in Ohio I have been called numerous times by the police to pick out a door lock on a vehicle with side impact bags. I was the only guy in town with a pick set which includes the local locksmiths. Granted there are some laws restricting ownership but they are so general almost anyone can own a set. I'm curious what type of trucks they have been getting into because master key sets are getting really easy to get for the larger trucks now.

They use come alongs, portable sawsalls you name it. They do not use keys. they use brute force and cause more damage to the trucks than the saws are worth. bend the doors back, cut or bend the locking rods that run through the doors. Now have installed tattle tell alarm systems, we shall see how the police respond.

etched numbers

They might sell them in parts on ebay. Any thing about the etched #'s or any thing else we might notice. I buy quite a bit off ebay.

we use a set of 5 or 6 numbers to internally track the saws, instead of just the serial numbers. If we find the saws both numbers will id the saws to when purchased and job sent to. The numbers are hand etched so they will look crude but effective. also we do not sell old saws so if number is hand etched most likely stolen.

I think it's time someone stays for the night in cold weather gear in one of the buckets with a shotgun. usually one shot is enough to make sure they never come back.

Latest posts

Back