Over 50 Stihl saws stolen SE MI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we use a set of 5 or 6 numbers to internally track the saws, instead of just the serial numbers. If we find the saws both numbers will id the saws to when purchased and job sent to. The numbers are hand etched so they will look crude but effective. also we do not sell old saws so if number is hand etched most likely stolen.

Easy solution. Don't leave the saws in the truck overnite. After 5 times I thought you would have considered options.

They use come alongs, portable sawsalls you name it. They do not use keys. they use brute force and cause more damage to the trucks than the saws are worth. bend the doors back, cut or bend the locking rods that run through the doors. Now have installed tattle tell alarm systems, we shall see how the police respond.

port-o-power or a scissors jack. They also make their own rams for different things as well.

Oh and down in th city they have nice thieves there, they only break what they have to to get in... like the smallest window on the car.

i have a solution for ya, its gonna cost a truck but it will work,,,,
i have a claymore ( dodnt ask ) we could put it in your truck and when they open the door, boom no more thiefs, the ka is aprox 100yard 85 degree cone so dodnt park it near anything you dodnt want :chainsaw: thiefs are nobetter that some one who beats their wife or dog

Great idea

i have a solution for ya, its gonna cost a truck but it will work,,,,
i have a claymore ( dodnt ask ) we could put it in your truck and when they open the door, boom no more thiefs, the ka is aprox 100yard 85 degree cone so dodnt park it near anything you dodnt want :chainsaw: thiefs are nobetter that some one who beats their wife or dog

But probably employees would not be to happy about the idea, Or the police that answer the call.

:clap:

What are the chances of these saws being stolen to use?.. In example: Lowlife's starting a shady tree service with free equipment?

I'd look for these saws being used locally.

better check that guy master chainsaw.........................:chainsaw:

local crackheads selling to the local backdoor pawn guy, then sold at a local flea market. or trucked out of state for $50 apiece maybe..

After 5 breakins we are down over 50 Stihls. MS200Ts, MS310S, MS 360S. MS66Os. They are breaking into trucks pass the pins and latches. darn portable sawsalls. All saws have hand etched numbers any help would be apprieciated. Nelson Tree Service Trucks. 419-929-8000
You might think about getting a security system. They have cameras that will trigger an alarm on movement. I sell them for way less than 50 saws.

WOW that way to bad. Can you find a new spot for the trucks to park? they need to get away from crack hood alley. There has been allot of new looking 066-660 on ebay that how my friend got is 046 back they broke in is shed they took the saw. he found it on ebay one week later called up went to see the saw and he showed the police is serial numbers first so now the crooks our doing time little rotten !@$#@ best of luck BILL post us your numbers so we can keep an eye out for you. just a thought.:jawdrop:

Sounds like they are using sawsalls to cut the pins (from what he posted) and get into the toolboxes.
I dont know the set up but it might be time to invest in high tensile pins or changing the toolbox set up so the sawsall blade cant reach the pins. You could also quietly (so even your staff dont know) put in car alarm that will call you or a local who likes taking pot shots at theives.

With a company I worked for the toolboxes were just infront of the tip box, you lifted the tip, put the pins in which locked through the doors and then lowered the box. To even get a finger on the pins you had to have the box tipped at about 40 degrees. Very hard to defeat as the truck had to be running to get them to tip.

I hope you have your name or company name and phone number engraved on every saw in at least 5 places. If it doesnt stop them from stealing the saws it certainly makes it alot harder to make money from them and increases the chance the scum will be caught or you will get your saws back.
You could get some small stickers made up with your name and phone number and have written $100 reward for return and put them under the panels on the inside (you will have to take them apart a bit) so even if they do get stolen the thieves will be that little more paranoid that they could get caught and they might not find all the stickers.

If your boxes have round pins, you can dissable the sawzall attack by putting pipe sleeves over the pins. You might have to put larger diameter holes for them to latch into, but just put a small diameter pipe sleeve over the pin with a washer and roll pin to hold them on. the recoprocating saw blade will just roll the pipe back and forth and it won't be able to cut it. an added advantage is that it has a stronger latch too. Screw these these thieving hoodlums. The more time they spend trying to break in , the better chance you have of catching them. :chainsaw:

Back