Over-fertilized Red Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNA_DAN

Reaction score
Hello -

I recently had 2 red maples trees planted in front of my property. They are very young saplings probably 2-3 years. They were not planted bare root. I thought it would be a good idea to stick a fertilizer spike in the ground for them, and in a week I noticed the leaves were starting to drop and were "burned". I quickly began watering it more in hopes of diluting the fertilizer and saving the trees. Is this the best course of action? How can I save these trees from dying. They have stopped growing this season now and are droping leaves, which normally doesn't happen for another few months in my area. Should I water more? Less? Will a vitamin B1 supplement help with the shock?

Thanks,
Dan

Dig out what's left of the spike and the surrounding soil.

Check the Buying and Planting links on the site below.

I find it difficult to believe that these fertilizer stakes are the only or primary problem with these trees. I would like to see a picture of them. It is quite possible for them to over fertilized, and especially during the summer months, however, there is a certain process that this fertilizer must go through before the tree gets it. It also depends on how much and the type of Nitrogen that is in these stakes.

Did the fertilizer stakes make any apparent change in turf color, green or brown, after you drove them in the ground? And how many would you say you used on each tree.

Not to say this is not part of the problem or even, perhaps the whole problem. I want to make sure there is not another problem that is missed.

Latest posts

Back