OWB insurance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My brothers insurance man wants to charge him fire insurance on his OWB. The OWB is not even close to the house. How could the house catch fire? Why would he need fire insurance?

You don't need fire insurance. I have mine insured under my home owners ins so that if a tree falls on it in a wind storm, some dumbazz flies up my driveway and forgets to stop and runs in to it, it will be replaced. I just have insurance to cover the replacement cost of it if anything happens to it since I have that kind of luck.:givebeer:

Uhmmmmm, just a thought here , but isn't his home already coverd for fire with his homeowners insurance ?

Or is the agent trying to charge him more for having a wood heater on the property ? It isn't like he is burning wood in an open pit dug into the basement floor.

My insurance company said that as long as I meet the guidelines provided by the manufacturer that is all they care about.

i am thinking someone is about to be screwed....or be looking for another insurance man.

I have State Farm,they didnt care one bit about the OWB,I called to add it to my policy,and my agent said that the OWB would actually reduce the chances of my house burning down by not having the oil fired burner running,and by me having my OWB 75 ft from the house.It didnt affect my premiums one bit,Once my building permit for it,and the wood shed are closed out,and passed,Ill be all done.

My insurance man told me 20' min from any insurable structure and no surcharge would be added.
I.E. you had it 10' from a detached shop that was 50' from your house, then the shop would not be covered but your house would unless you had a rider policy on your shop due to the close proximity of the OWB to the shop.
I'm sure every insurance is different though.

My Insurance Agent came out in early November to give me a price quote on a collector car that I have. While he was out he noticed that I had an OWB. Then he said, when you hook up you barn, let me know? At the time, I didn't question him. But now after this post I question the validity of his statement. How on earth is there a possible danger or issue with my OWB being hooked up to the barn? It is only water that is running. I could see his point if I installed a indoor wood stove into the Barn. Otherwise, I see it as a no-issue other than the electrical power to run the blower and thermostat. But I already have power out there. There are many more volatile issues in my barn then my OWB, like the torches, welder, gas cans, tractors, boats, cars, etc.
Anyway, I am going to call him and ask him what he meant in regards to when I hook up my OWB.

My insurance broker came out to look at my owb when I first installed it, added it to my policy to insure the unit itself, and said it would not raise the fire insurance premium at all. He asked me how I liked it and now he has one as well.

My insurance co. doesn't care about the OWB. Any indoor woodburner would add a 10% premium to the policy.

How about the names of some insurance companies to go along with these comments? There are only so many...nationwide, statefarm etc good to know who has common sense and who doesn't :)

My Insurance Agent came out in early November to give me a price quote on a collector car that I have. While he was out he noticed that I had an OWB. Then he said, when you hook up you barn, let me know? At the time, I didn't question him. But now after this post I question the validity of his statement. How on earth is there a possible danger or issue with my OWB being hooked up to the barn? It is only water that is running. I could see his point if I installed a indoor wood stove into the Barn. Otherwise, I see it as a no-issue other than the electrical power to run the blower and thermostat. But I already have power out there. There are many more volatile issues in my barn then my OWB, like the torches, welder, gas cans, tractors, boats, cars, etc.
Anyway, I am going to call him and ask him what he meant in regards to when I hook up my OWB.

I have Farm Bureau for our, Home, Farm, Automobiles. They have been the cheapest in all liabilities.

My ins. agent had no problem with the OWB. How many of you have the actual OWB insured? I guess I never really thought of that, I don't have any trees close enough to hit it if they would fall. I don't know what else could happen to it I guess.

Last edited:
My insurance co. doesn't care about the OWB. Any indoor woodburner would add a 10% premium to the policy.

If your agent is charging you 10% for a woodstove you need another agent and/or insurance. Mine was installed 17 years ago, with permits etc and my insurance agent told me at that time that it would not affect my premiums or policy as long as it was installed to code, which it is. I have not paid one cent extra because of it.

10% extra is a hefty price to pay just for the addition of a wood stove.

I have been with the same company for over 20 years, I have allstate on all of my vehicles and the house and I only pay a couple hundred for the house per year. I know my agent, she is great. :clap:

and easy on the eyes too... :heart:

Last edited:
Oops! I was supposed to get a building permit?:taped: Don't tell my township.

If you installed a wood stove and did not get a permit and it causes a problem I feel bad for you, your insurance will not cover.. good luck. :taped:

Last edited:
Back