OWB insurance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our township is a little behind. We don't need permits unless it has a permanent foundation, or permanently attached to a structure with a permanent foundation.

So Pole barns, don't need them unless over a certain square footage.
Decks not attached to house, don't need them.
etc.

My house had a built in fireplace so my house is already listed as having a wood stove on my insurance. It never said where it was, so adding a wood furnace in the basement was covered. and I guess the OWB should be also, in a round-about sort of way.

I've got state farm, made sure to ask about the OWB and they said it'd be included on the standard policy as long as it was hooked up permanently to the house. I asked them about a wood stove at one point and they said no extra charge as long as installed to code & manf specs.

I have Progressive and they had no issue w/ the OWB...they did measure from the OWB and my barn to confirm that it met the Woodmaster's specs for distance.

My ins. agent had no problem with the OWB. How many of you have the actual OWB insured? I guess I never really thought of that, I don't have any trees close enough to hit it if they would fall. I don't know what else could happen to it I guess.

Vandalism, Wind damage from strong winds or tornado, large hail stones, vehicle or tractor running into it - your own or someone elses or lightning damage to name just a few perils. If you have a shed build over it it could be damage by fire or wind or the other perils already listed. Normally sudden and accidental is covered. Power surges can also be expensive to repair. Detoriation, rot, decay would not be covered. Freezing of pipes is not covered. Check with your agent to see if you have enough coverage for all your barns, garages and sheds.
In my part of the country earthquake is a concern and is usually added to most home policies. Hope this is helpful for you.

I think the biggest risk with an OWB is a fire that destroys it.My woodpile is right next to the OWB,if it got dry enough,and something got lit,4-6 cord of nice dry wood,stacked so air can go thru,would likely burn and destroy the OWB.Have any of you watched the stack of your OWB at night? I get sparks,and sometimes even flames out the stack.

It should be already covered under "outbuildings" on the current policy. I'm not sure if all states are the same but here in Maine there's a ridiculous formula they use that have the house (sqft.) contents, and outbuildings whether or not you have any outbuildings. I asked about this once and was told it's just a part of the formula blah blah blah.... It tempts me too plow over the dog house though since the "outbuildings" are covered too the tune of $40k.

building permits? what are those?

They are a legal means in which your town gets to go in your pocket for more money. The inside word in my town is,when the ban traditional OWBs,not if,but when,if you do not have it on your property legally,you will not be grandfathered,and you will be given a set time to remove it.So ,thats one of the reasons I got one,I dont want the hassles down the road.Im sure from an insurance standpoint,having it on my site plan,and approved with the town only improves my position in the event I need to submit an insuranceclaim.

Last edited:
I think the biggest risk with an OWB is a fire that destroys it.My woodpile is right next to the OWB,if it got dry enough,and something got lit,4-6 cord of nice dry wood,stacked so air can go thru,would likely burn and destroy the OWB.Have any of you watched the stack of your OWB at night? I get sparks,and sometimes even flames out the stack.

My CB has an 8' stack, and I can see it while laying in bed. I have spent a fair bit of time watching it as I lay awake thinking of firewood to be cut. I have yet to see a spark, much less a flame. I do have spark arrestor / raincap installed as there is a grass field close by.

My CB has an 8' stack, and I can see it while laying in bed. I have spent a fair bit of time watching it as I lay awake thinking of firewood to be cut. I have yet to see a spark, much less a flame. I do have spark arrestor / raincap installed as there is a grass field close by.

My Shaver has a forced blower,when it turns on,you often see sparks,and small pieces going out the chimney at night.I have nothing on top of mine,it is as delivered.Maybe its time I get a spark arrestor for it.Ive only been running it since dec,the ground hasnt been dry enough yet to worry about,but my firewood pileo n the other hand,has some nice dry wood.

I don't know about the OWB insurance deal, but I can tell you that when I had my insert installed in my fireplace (which was already in the house when built in 1961):cheers:, I called the insurance agent (Travelers then, Liberty Mutual now) and they said if anything my insurance would go down because there is less chance of a house fire from burning a closed insert all year than an open fireplace once a month.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of premium do you pay to have an OWB insured against random stuff (like the car hits it, or your wood pile goes up in flames, or a tree falls on it)? I'm not sure if I'd want more insurance on my 6K OWB or my 6 cord of blood, sweat, and tears?

Bottom line, I'd say paying 10% more for having and OWB means you are getting boned somehow. Whoever mentioned the fact that you'd have no oil or propane burning in your house anymore made the best point. Call a new agent up for a quote

They are a legal means in which your town gets to go in your pocket for more money. The inside word in my town is,when the ban traditional OWBs,not if,but when,if you do not have it on your property legally,you will not be grandfathered,and you will be given a set time to remove it.So ,thats one of the reasons I got one,I dont want the hassles down the road.Im sure from an insurance standpoint,having it on my site plan,and approved with the town only improves my position in the event I need to submit an insuranceclaim.

dude, it was sarcasm.....

dude, it was sarcasm.....

I know it was,my first sentence was the sarcastic answer back,sorry you didnt get. Rest was the truth,I hate our sustem,and ordinarliy wouldnt et a permit,but with OWB bans looming,I thought Id share it,maybe help someone.

Latest posts

Back