owb or stove+insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
would you buy and owb for 2500 sq ft or run a insert on first floor and another wood stove in basement ? run 2 indoor units or one outdoor ? ( 3 floors including basement)

I started heating a 2650 sf split level in 2002 with a stove in the lower level (we have no basement). It did fine until the temps went much below 30 F, then the heat would kick on occasionally. The house was built in the 60's pre energy crisis and is not well insulated.

A little over 2 Years ago I put an insert in the living room fireplace on the main floor. The heat is really only in the house for when someone isn't here after 6-8 hours.

I have no experience with an OWB so can't speak to that. I can see a plus to one being able to regulate your heat so it is much more even. Downside to me would be installation cost.

I would estimate that I burned about 5 cords each year with two burners. I burnt 3.5-4 cords in each of the winters with just the stove. I expected to double my wood usage but that has not been the case.

for a multi level house OWB , for single level , wood stove or insert

If you have ducting why a stove.
Get a furnace.Put it in the basement and have it heat your whole home even without power.
OWB's are not efficient.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back