OWB Stove, Indoor Stove, or Wood Stove Insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartkem

Reaction score
I recently moved to the country on 3.5 acres north of Kansas city. I have a 1.5 story with finished basement about 3500 square feet built in 2002. My propane bill this mild winter is averaging $350 a month. I don't have any woods on my property but have access to get it. I want to supplement my heat at the least or completely switch to burning with wood. I have experience cutting and hauling wood as I did it my entire childhood untill I moved out of my parents house. They burn wood all winter. I am considering an owb stove or wood stove insert to replace the gas fireplace I have now. I have an unfinshed utility room that I could install an indoor wood boiler but don't have a way to vent the flue down there. I am concerned the owb stove might use more wood than I can get. I should be able to get about 4-6 cords a year. I like the price of the shaver 165 but have heard some stories about build quality. Another big issue is I travel about 10 days a month. My wife would have to keep the fire going while I am gone which she is willing to do. If I went the stove insert route it would be more of a heat supplement. Can the stove insert be left unattended safely. I would never leave my house with a fireplace going.

One thing to check with the insert being that you have a gas fireplace, is the flue rated for wood or just gas?

Lots of things to consider with this question. First, the OWB would be the most expensive option but would do the best most even job of heating your house. The next thing to consider is your flue. Do you have a masonry or other flue that is rated for wood? If so a stand alone wood stove or insert might be the best for you with the limited wood supply you have. My house has a masonry fireplace so the insert was my best option. I like the feel of the wood fire in the house and my poodle Pierre likes it too on really cold days. The stand alone has more radient area to heat from but a large insert like mine can really heat also. My unit is a Lennox (Country Stove) C310
Pierrewithstove.jpg

Steve

My gas fireplace is in a thick wall that seperates my kitchen and main living area. I think my house design will work perfectly for this setup because the stove will be centrally located and not touching an outside wall. My fireplace isn't brick. It is on a drywalled wall with tile around it. There is a hearth in front of it that is also tiled. I am starting to lean more towards the woodstove insert as I may have a limited supply of wood.

I can get access to the flue through the knee wall attic upstairs. How do I tell if it will handle the wood stove?

Get a qualified wood stove installer to look at your situation. You don't want to cut any corners here for obvious reasons. If there is more than one dealer available get bids from each and pick what your wife wants!

Steve

Please get a pro to access your chimney to be sure it is safe to use when burning wood.

owb. I did and I'll never look back :D. It was the most expensive route- but for me it was the most sensible. With no outside access to my basement and no chimney, the owb is very convenient.

Adam

We thought about an insert, we have a massive field stone fireplace. But we decided that a stand alone wood stove do a better job and we are very happy with that decision. We just left unused gas logs in the fireplace.

It does a very good job of heating the house (1970's construction, 1800 sq ft) with 3-4 cord per year.

I know there is variation with different OWBs, but in general I think the design tends to create a lot more smoke when it cuts back. You also need to be willing to go out and feed it in all kinds of weather.

Ken

I know there is variation with different OWBs, but in general I think the design tends to create a lot more smoke when it cuts back. You also need to be willing to go out and feed it in all kinds of weather.

Ken
Mine does smoke quite a bit at times, mostly when the damper opens the first couple times on a fresh fill. Sitting idle there is hardly a noticeable wisp of smoke. I don't have the properly seasoned wood though. Only seasoned ~6mo or so, due to poor planning on my part. Still burns nice though. Luckily I live in the "backwoods" where everyone burns, and no one gives a damn about the smoke.
About loading in all kinds of weather- Mine is out in the open for now, but my brother has a setup that is the cats ass. Steel carport for wood storage with sides and a back on it, boiler just nosed in the front side so you're loading and working out of the elements.
Hope to have that in a few years, but even now it's not a huge deal. Loading I'm never out there for longer than 10 min and on the weekends when I clean I'm still not out for more than 30min or so start to finish. If the weather is poor, I just wait for a break until I go out.

Adam

I have an owb and I have to admit it likes its wood. I heat two homes with it though. I have had it about 8 years.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

I have an owb and I have to admit it likes its wood. I heat two homes with it though. I have had it about 8 years.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

I can't speak on that really- the owb is the first experience with wood heating. However I do like the fact that I can load and get upwards of 48hr+ on a burn depending on weather. 24hr min. My limited experience with everyone around me who has stoves and fireplaces are loading every 8-12 I believe.

Adam

That is a lot of house imo to heat with a single freestanding stove. IMO I think buying yourself a wood furnace or a OWB would be the route to go.

We were pretty much in the same situation as you. Purchased a new Shaver 165 for $3200 did a self install and am pleased with our choice. Its a good basic stove for the money and works very well.

Latest posts

Back