OWB terminoligy-pet peeves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I can tell you all what really really burns my ass, A flame about 3 feet tall!!!LOL hell, its all good.When I quit today, I'm 3 loads short of having next years wood cut,bucked,split and stacked and I've got almost half of the year after that done(dropped and processed a white oak for an older couple last fall,47" at dbh).Have a good day AOD,it don,t get no better than this! Scott

WB... does your pet peavy do any tricks?

and the 3ft tall flame... ROFLMAO

just a thought.. I have seen they referred to as a wood burning appliance...

My pet peavey:

1975-49.jpg

+1 :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Kyle

dont these regulate water temps to around 160 or so degrees ? last i knew water boils at 212 degrees not 160 ,therefore knowing this it would be incorrect to call it a outdoor water boiler. it isnt a water burner either... last time i checked water doesnt burn .

Technically, which is it: OWB

Outside Wood Burner

or

Outside Water Boiler

I've always been curious and this seems the perfect thread to ask! :D

Or is it....Outdoor Wood Boiler ?:monkey:

Just use the term OWB and it'll be all good, thus keeping any panties from gettin notted up in the future..............
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It frustrates me to no end when I see people posting here and read news articles that refer to an OWB as an outdoor "furnace" or "stove".

So to clear up any confusion, I will define all of these things.

A stove is a wood burning appliance meant for direct space heating or cooking. It is something you have inside your home or building that heats it directly from convection and radiation.

A furnace transmits heat directly to air and distributes the warm air through ducts to heat a building.

A boiler heats water or another liquid and uses it as a heat transfer medium to heat a building. It doesn't matter if the boiler is in the basement, on the roof, out back or in another galaxy, if it heats a liquid, it's a boiler.

Unless you have a lil'house heater or something of similar design you do not have an outdoor wood furnace.

Unless you have a stove meant to be used inside sitting out back, you don't have an outdoor wood stove.

Questions?

Actually, the term "boiler" came from the old daze when steam heat was first utilized; they ACTUALLY boiled water, creating low or high pressure steam which travels thru pipes to radiators, then condensing back to water, running down pipes back to the boiler...How many of you kids know what a Hartford Loop is?
Dont's worry about any possible anal retention...winter's almost over, lotsa people have problems, etc. See disclaimer below:

It does boil

The water against the firebox DOES in fact boil, however it is quickly cooled by the rest of the jacket which is circulating. If you don't believe me, get it ripping for a few minutes and listen.

Hartford loop

Hartford loop: pipeing arangement to prevent boiler water from being drained from a boiler by a fault in the boiler feed pump or associated pipeing, so named for the Hartford insurance company who/which developed it to end serious boiler failures from low/no water in the boilers in buildings they insured. How about a PID loop, anybody? Oh FYI I have a IWB (indoor wood burner)

Last edited:
You guys are funny LMAO!
It's amazing what power a keyboard can give a guy!:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
and the worm turns.............

AOD, hate to pop your bubble, but in this case you are, at least at my house, exactly wrong..I being the redneck that I am have a outdoor wood furnace. I have a hotblast furnace (no water) installed in a small outbuilding at the end of my house. It is a forced air wood furnace, ducted into my gas furnace duct lines, it shares the cold air return. It was designed for a basement application, but as I have no basement, I installed it OUTDOORS. I have seen at least one other poster with a similar application, so there are OWFs in use......Lanny:hmm3grin2orange:

How about a PID loop, anybody? Oh FYI I have a IWB (indoor wood burner)

PID = Proportional Integral Derivative, I think, it's a type of feedback loop used for digital building and HVAC control systems, more specifically, the turd of a system that's known as Johnson Controls Metasys. How I love to hate writing that code.

AOD, hate to pop your bubble, but in this case you are, at least at my house, exactly wrong..I being the redneck that I am have a outdoor wood furnace. I have a hotblast furnace (no water) installed in a small outbuilding at the end of my house. It is a forced air wood furnace, ducted into my gas furnace duct lines, it shares the cold air return. It was designed for a basement application, but as I have no basement, I installed it OUTDOORS. I have seen at least one other poster with a similar application, so there are OWFs in use......Lanny:hmm3grin2orange:

From my original post.

Unless you have a lil'house heater or something of similar design you do not have an outdoor wood furnace.

Questions?

I see we are having a problem communicating AOD, your characterization of my OWF as lil house heater, thought creative, is in error. Thank you for the denegration of my labors, and we will , I suppose agree to disagree...Lanny:deadhorse:

I see we are having a problem communicating AOD, your characterization of my OWF as lil house heater, thought creative, is in error. Thank you for the denegration of my labors, and we will , I suppose agree to disagree...Lanny:deadhorse:

By similar design, I meant any furnace that sits outside your home and uses a blower and ductwork to circulate warm air into the house. This can be a factory built outdoor furnace such as a Lil'house heater or it can be an indoor furnace adapted for outdoor use such as your hotblast. Either way, they can both be called furnaces because they heat air and not water.

Wouldn't an outdoor wood boiler boil wood? Anyone see wood boil lately?:dizzy:

Just wandering (or is it wondering? wonderen? who knows - can't spel fer crap).

:hmm3grin2orange:

PID loop

AOD wrote:
PID = Proportional Integral Derivative, I think, it's a type of feedback loop used for digital building and HVAC control systems, more specifically, the turd of a system that's known as Johnson Controls Metasys. How I love to hate writing that code.
And an "A" for you as well, Kudos
My experience was with a turd of a system that's known as Honeywell, fortunatly I didn't have to code it.

Last edited:
Back