Oxhead Maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron Head

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Please share your reviews on this maul.
I have a few different stil mauls as well as a Fiskars.
I love the sharpness of the Fiskars and the weight of an 8# maul.
The Oxhead seems to have the sharpness and the weight.

Hopefully somebody has used them, I sort of let the kids know I wanted one of the new fiskars but if there is something better out there....... i can still change my request. Where are they sold?

I just ordered 1 from Hand tools for woodworking, wood carving, wood turning and log building
This maul looks exactly like the Stihl but with the extra protections.
I should of made this post before I commited to the purchase but I'm right in the middle of gathering wood for this winter and I need a better tool than what I've been using. I hate switching back and forth with the Fiskars and the mauls. I just want one maul that can split everything.

Looks like a very solid, quality piece of equipment. Congrats on the purchase, give us a report when you put it through it's paces.

I had trouble shelling out the $50 for the Fiskars X27 and after using it I'm still dubious that its worth double the cost of my conventional yellow handle 6lb splitting maul. I cannot imagine spending $140 on a maul. I hope you like it and that it works well...be very interested to hear how it works.

I was going to do some more testing on different rounds before I got back to you. I LOVE this maul. It is a beast on my tougher rounds. My favorite is my Gransfors Bruks 5.5 maul. But that one cost me $155 from Wespur. The OX is a killer on big stuff. I use the Fiskars with the shorter handle on my smaller stuff. You won't regret the purchase.I know it sounds like I've thrown around a lot of money with these three mauls. I plan on them lasting the rest of my life. I've spent more money at McDonalds.

I just can not justify spending 140 bucks on a maul....whoa. I'm sure a skilled hand and good wet stone can keep most mauls sharp as a whistle for a good long while. Maybe a money back guarantee and I would give it a shot ;P

I just can not justify spending 140 bucks on a maul....whoa. I'm sure a skilled hand and good wet stone can keep most mauls sharp as a whistle for a good long while. Maybe a money back guarantee and I would give it a shot ;P

The Big Ox is very sharp and keeps her edge very well.
She can split stuff that the Fiskars can't. And the Fiskars can split the hell out of easier stuff all day.
I think I got my dream splitting team now.
Fiskars would be the ultimate one tool splits all if they are around
7 lbs, a few degrees wider wedge, and harder steel.

Thanks for all of your inputs guys.
I'm very proud of this purchase.

Been using an iltis oxhead maul for a while. Amazing tool. Holds a sharp edge forever. Over-strike protection works like a charm, while the wooden handle absorbs shock way better than glass. The weight is perfect for the big/tough stuff. You can power through just about anything w/ it, but its not mega-maul heavy to the point where it kills you in short order. I can split with it all day, but it IS overkill for small/easy stuff.

Get an Oxhead for the big stuff, and a Fiskars for everything else and split wood like a champ!

Great tool that will last forever.

I think you get what you pay for a lot of times. It is a lot of coin but that looks like a really nice,well thought out, quality maul. Can hit wedges too.
Actually, the splitting ax is pretty neat also.
I would love some feedback on the twisted wedge...hard to get a feel for it without actually working it.
Good link

I think you get what you pay for a lot of times. It is a lot of coin but that looks like a really nice,well thought out, quality maul. Can hit wedges too.
Actually, the splitting ax is pretty neat also.
I would love some feedback on the twisted wedge...hard to get a feel for it without actually working it.
Good link

Even the Ox or the wedge can't split some of the rounds that I've dealt with unless I bury the wedge in first.
But that twisted wedge seems a bit pricy. It can't possibly be twice better than a regular wedge. But who knows.

Back