Oxidized Muffler Cover Nuts!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilMcWoody

Recharging Battery
Reaction score
OK, a lil bit OCD here but I hate things getting oxidized.

With some of my other stuff, it's always zippers on board bags getting oxidized, fused, stuck and eventually broken or useless. Not a fate I want for my saw.

What do you guys do / use to keep these parts from oxidizing/seizing.

2014-08-24161131_zps07c9f44b.jpg

OK, a lil bit OCD here but I hate things getting oxidized.

With some of my other stuff, it's always zippers on board bags getting oxidized, fused, stuck and eventually broken or useless. Not a fate I want for my saw.

What do you guys do / use to keep these parts from oxidizing/seizing.

2014-08-24161131_zps07c9f44b.jpg
Use stainless steel hardware, but not for the studs too, as SS on SS will gall up and seize, breaking the studs off. High temp paint won't last long there.

If you're real OCD, pick up some plain carbon steel nuts and run them by your gunsmith . He can blue them in his hot tank or Parkerize them with Manganese Phosphate, and they will just take longer to "oxidize"...

Bronze nuts work too.
SS use a little anti- seize on the stud when installing. It prevents any galling on install. It won't prevent anything after running saw but the threads are not galled.
On SSnuts on SS bolts of the same grade always use anti-seize upon install. If not they can gall even when new.

We used oversized bronze nuts on the combo intake/exhaust on the old Landcruisers.

Blueing/rust blue will not last. Over about 250deg it is gone.

Thanks for all the ideas and I learned a new use for the word gall [had my gallbladder out not so long ago]
Wife is not having it on any shelves anytime soon, even though it lives in the basement of dampness.

... and thanks Rockjock for reminding me I have some anti-seize lying around

I would find something else to worry about.

Dang, you sussed me out. I was probably worrying about this so I wouldn't' have to worry about somethgin else a lot more important.

Bronze nuts work too.
SS use a little anti- seize on the stud when installing. It prevents any galling on install. It won't prevent anything after running saw but the threads are not galled.
On SSnuts on SS bolts of the same grade always use anti-seize upon install. If not they can gall even when new.

We used oversized bronze nuts on the combo intake/exhaust on the old Landcruisers.

Blueing/rust blue will not last. Over about 250deg it is gone.

Got me thinking about replacing some nuts on the Dodge with some bronze ones when the time comes.

Well, it's either worry about something worthwhile or worry about gallstones and oxidation on your nuts.

I have to get a hard cup to protect those from the new dog.
She's nutz, and has scored at least three direct hits to mine this week with paws or dog toys. She would not be out of place on an NFL team.

Latest posts

Back