P.p.e. Or not for fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DO YOU USE P.P.E.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TMFARM 2009

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
do you use personal protective equipment,while cutting and splitting firewood?

helmet with ears and a face screen. Steel toes. And not as often as i should my chaps. I never wear gloves when using the saw no matter the temp but always wear gloves when running the spitter.

Just getting more into PPE. Wear a helmet when felling most of time. Always wear eye protection, usually sun glasses. Just got chaps for Christmas. Wear Mechanix gloves, but that doesn't stop the chain.... Don't think there is much value in steel toe boots, as I have never seen them help save anything, and I lose some footing when wearing them. I prefer hikers.

This poll would be better if there was a category for "Most of the time" as well. I would still fit more in the category of "sometimes", unless you count eye protection, which is all the time.

wear chaps anytime saw is running,My prescription glasses are safety glasses .should use ear plugs but never have and use a helmet when cutting trees down.

As grandma would say,"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Safety glasses and hearing protection, always.
Chaps nearly always.
Helmet when I'm in the woods felling, limbing, etc.
Gloves and face screen sometimes.

Metatarsal Boots, gloves and glasses and ear plugs when i'm runnin the saw. Metatarsal Boots and gloves and plugs when im runnin the splitter. Thats just my forte though. i should get chaps but i havent yet. i would like to get a pair though.

for felling i wear hard hat with face shield and muffs, chaps and steel toes. I like to wear the leather palm mechanics gloves for moving limbs, chokers and what not and they do not impair my dexterity with the saw. The gloves are also great for sharpening chains.

for bucking firewood I wear exactly the same thing. The helmet has the muffs and face shield attached so it's nice. I find that the peltor helmet is the best because when everything on it is raised it is all centered over your head and has a low center of gravity. I prefer this helmet to those made by stihl and husk

Always eye protection just got helmet--rockman, boots, never gloves cant find anything that fits right and i dont wear holes in. But I do know that if you bought top of the line PPE for $1000 its still cheaper then 1 trip to get somthing out of your eye let alone taking off some flesh or worse

Always: Safety Glasses, Steel Toe Boots, Gloves
Almost always: Earplugs, double faced carhartt bibs (I know they won't stop a chain, but they protect against most everything else)

On my wishlist: chaps

It took one close call for me to realize that PPE was necessary. Now its chaps(THanks Dad, for the Christmas gift:) ear and eye protection, steel toes, and helmet when felling. You never MEAN for an accident to happen, that why they dont cal it an 'on purpose'.

Dave

I just wear eye protection and heavy leather boots. In cold weather just wear insulated carhartt bibs. At my age I need to buy a set of chaps.

I have a stainless steel bar holding my foot together that cost a lot more than the heavy leather boots I should have been wearing when that saw ran through my foot. Hikers, cowboy boots, and sneakers, are a big no no when running the saw. Steel tow may help, but my cut was behind the steel toe area. Chaps are a must, and though I often neglect them safety glasses. I'll wear a lid as well when I am felling. Be safe.

I like to wear my PPE while sawing - chaps, leather boots, leather gloves, saftey glasses, ear muffs. I add my helmet with screen for overhead work and felling.

I'm saving for a pair of chainsaw boots to add to the gear.

I think it's an old age thing, cause when I was younger I used to cut in shorts, tee shirt and sneakers. Now I won't start the saw without my chaps and ear muffs.

I just upgraded to wrap chaps and passed along my old apron chaps to my son.

Mike

Why not ? Your truck has air bags and belts. Rock Climbers and arborists tie in. In country all wear Kevlar. Using pieces of PPE. sometimes, is like Almost Pregnant.

Compare:

1. Cost to you of time 'off' from any injury to time and cost to put on FULL PPE.

2. Time and cost of any injury at your fav ER.

Think-----80% of saw cuts are on your left thigh ( you do know what a femoral artery is ?:heart: ). Chaps work. Too hot for you ? Cut nude under the chaps.:cheers:

P.S. Steel toes are not to protect from the saw.

For tree falling it's safety glasses, ear plugs, helmet, chaps, gloves, steel toe boots. Same thing for bucking except the helmet...unless there's still overhead hazards (limbs higher than head height). Splitting with splitter it's safety glasses, ear plugs, gloves and steel toe boots. Splitting with the maul (very rare) is the same as with the splitter except the ear plugs.

A slight thread derail...I tend to wear safety glasses for a lot of jobs around the house I'm working on...anything (chemical or material) that might have the slightest chance of getting at my eyes.

Kevin

Back