P.p.e. Or not for fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DO YOU USE P.P.E.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Steel toe boots. Have to order full-wrap Labonville chaps yet. Will buy them before I go help my dad's friend with a stand of maples. :) Gonna finally cut a tree down! :D Remember: face cut, back cut. Look at tree ten times and think and evaluate before cutting. Watch for a thread on cutting maples down. :)

Ear and eye Protection, gloves, long shirt/pants, baseball had and boots always.

Just got chaps...used a couple of times...forgot them a couple times.

Would like a helmet, just haven't dropped the money for it...and not a lot of overhead issues...most of what I cut (Ash) is already on the ground around here.

I'm thinking of getting some baseball catchers shin guards as that is where most of the stuff I split lands!

Gotta confess...

last night I had a few hours and decided to cut...did not take the time to wear ppe (face shield to be exact) and what do you know...

I was cutting a limb about chest high and caught a sapling about the diameter of a #2 pencil...anyway to get to the point of the story somehow it wipped aroung and caught me right accross the face I had no idea what just happened other than my lips felt like I had just caught the hind leg of a mule...Eyes were watering...I shut off the saw and headed back to the truck (might as well fuel up while I was not working) and my lips were swollen up almost twice the size and I have this wonderful bruise accross my face...two inches higher and I wonder if I could see this morning...

Won't be making that mistake again soon. I feel like a fool but am glad to be able to learn a lesson without loosing more than my pride. By the way, my wife was kind enough to point out the ignorance of my ways just in case I didn't really learn. What a kind lady...

Bottom line...if you got it wear it...if you don't got it get it then wear it.

last night I had a few hours and decided to cut...did not take the time to wear ppe (face shield to be exact) and what do you know...

I was cutting a limb about chest high and caught a sapling about the diameter of a #2 pencil...anyway to get to the point of the story somehow it wipped aroung and caught me right accross the face I had no idea what just happened other than my lips felt like I had just caught the hind leg of a mule...Eyes were watering...I shut off the saw and headed back to the truck (might as well fuel up while I was not working) and my lips were swollen up almost twice the size and I have this wonderful bruise accross my face...two inches higher and I wonder if I could see this morning...

Won't be making that mistake again soon. I feel like a fool but am glad to be able to learn a lesson without loosing more than my pride. By the way, my wife was kind enough to point out the ignorance of my ways just in case I didn't really learn. What a kind lady...

JUST ANOTHER LIFE LESSON REALIZED AND LEARNED.....:crazy1::crazy1:

I don't run my saws without chaps and helmet/faceshield/muffs on. A couple of years ago I was working on a trail. I had just put my saw down and was pulling a cut overhead branch out of the way. I have no idea where it came from, but about an 8' long 2-3" diameter dead branch came down from somewhere, hit me in the head and drove me into the ground. It broke off one of the muffs on my helmet (which I replaced with a new helmet afterwards). Other than a headache, I was fine and very happy I had it on. I also ruined a set of chaps a couple of years ago when I hit them with the chainsaw. They worked as designed and prevented unintended chainsaw knee surgery. Wear the stuff, folks. It works.

Well I never knew about ppe before I found this site. Still don't have any other than glasses and boots + common sense. My dad taught me to stay the hell out of the way of a kickback situation.

I'm planning on picking some up though, at least some chaps. Walking is a nice option for us humans...

Bill

Glad you are okay!!

I never used to use anything but helmet&face, but last year got chaps and am now waiting for my backordered Husky ppe boots. I'm old enough now to know that bad stuff happens no matter how good you think you are.

Well I never knew about ppe before I found this site. Still don't have any other than glasses and boots + common sense. My dad taught me to stay the hell out of the way of a kickback situation.

I'm planning on picking some up though, at least some chaps. Walking is a nice option for us humans...

Bill

+1 here... Any suggestions on brand or certain material for chaps?

I have the Stihl (camo) and the Husky chaps. The material on the Still seems a little better, but who really knows.

What I don't like about either is the fact that the bottom buckles and fabric edges around my calves sometimes trip me up. I think this is due to the fact that both aren't full-wrap. My next pair will be one that wraps much tighter around the calf - maybe the Labonville full-wrap.

Being tripped and injured by safety gear would be... ironic.

I have the Stihl (camo) and the Husky chaps. The material on the Still seems a little better, but who really knows.

What I don't like about either is the fact that the bottom buckles and fabric edges around my calves sometimes trip me up. I think this is due to the fact that both aren't full-wrap. My next pair will be one that wraps much tighter around the calf - maybe the Labonville full-wrap.

Being tripped and injured by safety gear would be... ironic.

True... Thank you... Helpful info...:rock:

just picked up a stihl helmet tonight have my stihl toes just because im in landscaping, however I did try to put a maul threw them while I was splitting. safety glasses for trying to keep the dust out of my eyes and my chaps are great. I think im starting to wise up a little bit damn near got hit by a trunk this summer on the job lets just say I was standing in the crotch when it fell

I wear a slihl helmet face shield muff rig. Wish I was wearing it while looking for my golf ball yesterday that ended up in the woods heard a branch falling just above my head got my arms up just in time to take most of the impact small cut on my arm and a knot on my head. Still won the round !!!!!

Latest posts

Back