Pacific NW get together

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snowing here again right now yup warm early spring like they predicted

Went to daughters college softball game in sela this weekend. 38 degree's spitting rain and wind blowing 30 mph About froze just sitting there. I wonder if were going to miss spring and go right from winter to summer.

Hmmmmm....This probably wouldn't be a good time to mention that we're having a dry warm spring with temps in the high seventies and the strawberries are starting to ripen. Nope...I won't say any of that. When it's 110 down here in August and September you guys can get your revenge and tell me how cool it is up there.

I still have my Grunden's stuffed behind the seat of the pickup though in case you can't break out of your bad weather cycle.:)

Last edited:
Hmmmmm....This probably wouldn't be a good time to mention that we're having a dry warm spring with temps in the high seventies and the strawberries are starting to ripen. Nope...I won't say any of that. When it's 110 down here in August and September you guys can get your revenge and tell me how cool it is up there.

I still have my Grunden's stuffed behind the seat of the pickup though in case you can't break out of your bad weather cycle.:)

Yeah, I have good friends who taunt me until June. They brag on their tomatoes and how many they have...etc. The tables are turned when it gets 102 there and it is 60s here. Then I get to gloat as they whine about high electrical bills for air conditioning.
Today wasn't too bad. I took advantage of a bad situation. An alder pinched the bar this morning and Twinkle threw the chain. Since I was now down to one good chain I decided to get out of the snowstorm and do some badly needed maintenance. All chains are deburred and Twinkle is cleaned up and has a Barbie sticker in place. A logger stopped by. He informed me that the method I was told to do after deburring a chain--running the chain backwards first, would ruin the sprocket. Anyway, I got soaked this morning but dried out while fixing Twinkle so not too bad of weather. It is supposed to warm up by 2 degrees each day so tomorrow morning should be a balmy 38 degrees here in the valley! Maybe I'll break out the shorts!

Hey slowp, what do you mean by "deburring" a chain? I threw a chain for the first time Sunday and noticed it had a sticky link after I put it back on.

(pos361 I'm gonna have to start a thread when I have time)

Those little toothy things that go in the bar groove burr up and won't fit back in or will stick. This happens every time the saw throws the chain off. I used to run a MacCulloch in the olden times and the saw liked a loose chain so it came off a lot but I never had any burring problems. I just put it back on and it ran like it should. Twinkle and the Barbie saw like to damage the chains I guess. I also found out that I could use the Dremel to grind it down if I resorted to wearing......The Reading Glasses. That is totally depressing.

Those little toothy things that go in the bar groove burr up and won't fit back in or will stick. This happens every time the saw throws the chain off. I used to run a MacCulloch in the olden times and the saw liked a loose chain so it came off a lot but I never had any burring problems. I just put it back on and it ran like it should. Twinkle and the Barbie saw like to damage the chains I guess. I also found out that I could use the Dremel to grind it down if I resorted to wearing......The Reading Glasses. That is totally depressing.

Bifocals are next.

I have but one request for everyone. While I'm there milling about, would someone please step up and teach me how to recognize that elusive "burble" that everyone talks about in every tuning thread. That would do me a world of good. I figure the 372 is going to require retuning anyway going from here to Washington. I'm at about 975' here.

Ian

I'll give lessons.... sigh... just like another day at work... except, I'll get paid in beer.... :cheers:

They going to let you check-bag that saw?

Eastern WA Weather

Well looks like spring is still delayed in Eastern WA. Today it snowed in Pullman, well enough to cover the ground for the morning. Hope the weather is better at points west.

My girlfriend snapped this picture on the Washington State University Campus today a little before Noon.

Man I wish the sun would come out.

Yup, sounds like what I done. Had one spot in the chain that didn't want to go back into the grove all the way so I ran the saw out of the wood for a second then readjusted the chain. Pulling the chain by hand there was a spot it wanted to stick but I was tired of messing with it so I ran it. Managed to fill my trailer without any more problems but its good to know what had happened.

Thanks for the learnin :cheers:

Back