Paging CuttinScott, Pes+, or Dolmar guys-Recoil starter Dolmar 120si

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
Reaction score
Or anyone else who can help.

The recoil starter assembly has begun too slip on occasion. I believe the problem is worn starter pawl edges. Are the starter pawls replacable or do I need flywheel assembly? (Haven't pulled the flywheel too see the back side?) It also might be some play in the cord winder ID that sits on top of the spring and has the two metal (tits) that engage the pawls? Any ideas? Can I grind the pawls with a dremel to deepen the pocket a bit, or should I replace the pawls? Also may need to find a starter rewind assembly. I believe the saw shares parts with the 116si.

Is this the type with the 2 pins
on the starter rope pulley.
If so i have seen where the pins
are worn and won't engage the
pawls correctly.

Regards Lee

attachment.php

Thanks Ultra!

Rep for you!

That's the set up and it looks like the pawls are replacable? Are those pins pressed in though? Hard too tell. The spool with the pins- The pins themselves look ok but it's a possibility that they might be "short' or rounding Leeha. If anything the spool maybe a little sloppy on the post. I think I'm also missing part#9 for sure (disintegrated) and possibly#7 too. Those could cause the pins not too "reach" as well. Also that washer under the C-clip. That missing would cause the twisting on the post a bit. Now too find where to scare up the parts. :cheers:

PS: Little update. I added the washer under the C-clip and took a dremel and small grinding wheel and re-pocketed the pawls. Seems too working fine again for the moment.

Last edited:
Steve here is the info on your 120si

#1 from ultras pic starter assembly 114112630 $49.22
#31 from ultras pic pawl assy. 031166010 $7.54 ea.
#7 " " " guide disk 900004363 $0.98 ea.
#9 " " " '' " 123163020 $0.68 ea.
#11 " " " cable drum 123162032 $11.00ea.

all items in stock

Sorry about the delay in response had a BUSY DAY

Scott

Last edited:
Also make sure your pawls are not bent in at the hooked end. I have seen many of these style where the pawls are bent from people not engaging the pawls when installing the recoil.

I may have some used recoils but would need to check. I doubt you need the whole unit. You really should have the spring cover (guide disk) and may need the pulley (cable drum in Dolmarese) as using the recoil without it wears the back of the cable drum and can cause the problem you are having.

Busy day?.......it has been over two and a half months of 6 and a half days a week over this side of the lake Scott.

Everybody that even thinks they can start a chainsaw has decided to buy/fix/rebuild every conceivable form of cutting device locally.

Add a rash of NGK ground electrodes breaking off on some new brush cutters and it gets....ummmmmm intriguing.

Now I have a small mountain of cut off saws to do.....

I am working on the 395 Bole climber when I am able to gain clear head and clean bench.

Busy day?.......it has been over two and a half months of 6 and a half days a week over this side of the lake Scott.

QUOTE]

LOL Busyyyyyyy, Same here its been long days long weeks since early April. I keep telling myself its a good thing LMAO.... Im putting in 70-80 hour weeks. Just today I sold another firewood processor and conveyor problem is its back ordered till October?? Also sold a Ferris Z mower, Ferris Z bagger and saws today. So today I wrote order's in excess of $46000.00 Yea its busy :)

Scott

Thanks Ultra!

Rep for you!

That's the set up and it looks like the pawls are replacable? Are those pins pressed in though? Hard too tell. The spool with the pins- The pins themselves look ok but it's a possibility that they might be "short' or rounding Leeha. If anything the spool maybe a little sloppy on the post. I think I'm also missing part#9 for sure (disintegrated) and possibly#7 too. Those could cause the pins not too "reach" as well. Also that washer under the C-clip. That missing would cause the twisting on the post a bit. Now too find where to scare up the parts. :cheers:

PS: Little update. I added the washer under the C-clip and took a dremel and small grinding wheel and re-pocketed the pawls. Seems too working fine again for the moment.

Let us know if you come up with the parts for your recoil starter.If no one near you has them I am sure that I do as I have been running the 113,116 120 and 120 supers since 1985 and have parted down a bunch of them.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks for the help Fella's.

Glad Bizz is Booming!

I know for a fact that the guide disc is missing because it disintegrated when the C-clip popped off and the spring got loose in there. (What a racket that made!) I probably caused this by starting the saw while on a mill laying flat, Pulling at 90 degrees.(Now I know better)

Pes+ , I did think about the bend on the pawls and addressed that a bit. The dremel re-pocketing the pawls gave me a little better holding edge on the hook. Got to be carefull as those pins holding the pawls on have very thin heads. DAMHIK.

Scott,
I'll go ahead and order the guide disc, cable drum, and better get the pawls too. This way if it reoccurs, I'm in bizz. I'll shoot you a mail on your site.

Thanks Pioneerguy I'll keep that in mind. By the way, is the flywheel nut a lefthander thread? :cheers:

Thanks for the help Fella's.

Glad Bizz is Booming!

I know for a fact that the guide disc is missing because it disintegrated when the C-clip popped off and the spring got loose in there. (What a racket that made!) I probably caused this by starting the saw while on a mill laying flat, Pulling at 90 degrees.(Now I know better)

Pes+ , I did think about the bend on the pawls and addressed that a bit. The dremel re-pocketing the pawls gave me a little better holding edge on the hook. Got to be carefull as those pins holding the pawls on have very thin heads. DAMHIK.

Scott,
I'll go ahead and order the guide disc, cable drum, and better get the pawls too. This way if it reoccurs, I'm in bizz. I'll shoot you a mail on your site.

Thanks Pioneerguy I'll keep that in mind. By the way, is the flywheel nut a lefthander thread? :cheers:

Flywheel nut is righthand thread..

Scott

Latest posts

Back