Painting a bar...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man that looks like fun work............

kinda like bein' on the crew of "survivor."

site's weird though, gotta keep coming back to the link...........

Degrease it, wire brush it, paint it with a polyurathane or epoxy paint, bake for 30 minutes at 225f... (heat lamps or hot air). keep the paint out of the groove as best you can, but it won't last but one pass of the chain.

or, degrease, wire brush, wax.

Lakeside53 said:
Degrease it, wire brush it, paint it with a polyurathane or epoxy paint, bake for 30 minutes at 225f... (heat lamps or hot air). keep the paint out of the groove as best you can, but it won't last but one pass of the chain.

or, degrease, wire brush, wax.

Bake it eh? Damn I need an oven :)

Universe said:
Bake it eh? Damn I need an oven :)

Take it to the local pizzaria. Should be big enough.:)

Just take a length of 5 inch pipe, insert bar, and blow the wife's pro hair dryer into it... or fan heater...

lemon pie said:
How about powder paint? Also oven cured but very durable.

You'd have to take the tip and bearing out first. Much hotter temps. Somehow I think it would be too brittle anyhow. Would look cool on an old metal saw...

Trees in Norge

Are there any trees in Kirkenes?.:confused:
ditto ditto: paint a bar chartreuse:cry:
TAK TAK

logbutcher said:
Are there any trees in Kirkenes?.:confused:
ditto ditto: paint a bar chartreuse:cry:
TAK TAK
I don't know about trees in Kirkenes, as I have never been there, but there is no doubt a lot of trees not too far away.

SawTroll said:
(to: Why bother?)

Legitimate question...

1) They look pretty
2) They sell better on ebay

I've cleaned up and painted some awful looking bars over the years.

Do they cut better? no... but why not just a paint all cars with a gray primer and why bother even cleaning a saw if you don't care how it looks?

Not sure about the rest of AS, but I like my stuff to not only work well, but look good. My theory, weak as it is, is that if it looks good it probably is better, 'cos it's been cared for... I do however make my living from people that polish the outside but forget about the fuel and filters...

Lakeside53 said:
I do however make my living from people that polish the outside but forget about the fuel and filters...

Over at my friend's shop we have a saying for people like this: "I'm a waxer."

This is a reference to a friend who's van quit running so he used a carpenter's level to beat on his fuel tank. And when his van wouldn't start he beat on the alternator so hard (he was aiming for the starter) he cracked the housing.

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back