Painting mufflers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxAggie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was just curious as to what kind of paint to use when painting exhausts. I found a black grill paint that was rated to 1100 F. I also have some engine paints that's Shaker Orange as well as black in the garage but they're only rated to 500 F.

I would imagine that the exhausts would be above 500 F but I can't seem to find data on the outflow temps.

Thanks.

TxAggie.

I bet that does look good. And with a temperature rating of 1200 F, I think I would have more serious issues than flaking paint if I reached that temp.

Any idea as to what the highest temp and exhaust would get to?

I like to give my saws something different just in case it decides to sprout legs into someone else's truck. :cry:

I found some 'Very High Temperature" header / exhaust paint at local auto parts stores in colors other than black.

I was making heat shields for our pressure washers (guys kept getting burned on the mufflers) and wanted something that stood out. I got a flat red that came out pretty well, but haven't run them yet to give you field data.

Says 'silica - ceramic based'. Rated for 1,300 - 2,000 degrees F. Should hold up for a saw exhaust. About $8 a can. Saw different brands at different stores.

Philbert

I found some 'Very High Temperature" header / exhaust paint at local auto parts stores in colors other than black.

I was making heat shields for our pressure washers (guys kept getting burned on the mufflers) and wanted something that stood out. I got a flat red that came out pretty well, but haven't run them yet to give you field data.

Says 'silica - ceramic based'. Rated for 1,300 - 2,000 degrees F. Should hold up for a saw exhaust. About $8 a can. Saw different brands at different stores.

Philbert

I have not had much luck with the header paint. Recently soaked and cleaned a muffler very well and then hit it with a wire brush. Painted it and then baked it according to the can instructions in my toaster oven. Next day the paint flaked off.

I'm not sure how hot the mufflers get, but the ceramic header paint
rated to 500 does not work. Even after baked on, mine bubbled and
got "wet" again. So I'm assuming they get hotter than 500.

I've since switched back to wood stove paint.

I use the ceramic paint made for headers and exhaust that I get at the Auto Parts Store. The muffler must be clean - and I bead blast mine. After painting the muffler must be cured in an oven as described on the can. Find a day when your wife will be away and you can open the windows for a while. After proper cleaning and curing I have never had the paint peel off the muffler. I did have one peel when I sprayed it and let it sit in the garage for a few days - then installed it and ran the saw. I just painted a muffler and put it on my log splitter and it was too big to put in the oven - so after I installed it I would start the engine and let it idle for a minute and get warm, then shut it down for half an hour. Then I would start it up again and let it run for two minutes at idle, etc.....after several of these cycles I let it idle for about 20 minutes while I gathered up all my splitting gear. I used the splitter for 2 hours on Monday night and the paint is just fine.

Thanks for the feedback on the ceramic paint. I cleaned the metal with soap and water, then baked after painting (spouse not home routine) at 200, then 400, then 550 degrees F, with cooling intervals according to the can, but did not use their primer (store did not stock it).

Will be interesting to see how it holds up over time.

Philbert

muff paint

I have used J.D. muffler paint in the past, only it turned WHITE, never saw anything do this. Yes it went on black. Dont know if I exceeded the temp limit or what. Stuff aint cheap either.:mad:

Latest posts

Back