Recoating chainsaw muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isawben

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of chainsaw mufflers with surface rust, and wanted to refinish them. I have heard many suggest black high-temp paint, but I was thinking that gun blue solution might work well. Would gun blue be able to stand up to the heat, or would it quickly burn off. Any other suggestions for coating are welcome. Thanks!

The chemical bluing is more or less for show...like a vinegar on bare iron effect, i did a 20" bar and it didnt last any time. Actual bluing..may last longer.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have a couple of chainsaw mufflers with surface rust, and wanted to refinish them. I have heard many suggest black high-temp paint, but I was thinking that gun blue solution might work well. Would gun blue be able to stand up to the heat, or would it quickly burn off. Any other suggestions for coating are welcome. Thanks!
I’ve used VHT ceramic spray paints with good results. They make engine and exhaust paint with the exhaust paint rated at 2,000 plus degrees. I believe the exhaust paint is called flame proof. Follow directions on the can for prep, coats, and specifically the curing process which is a series of heating it up and cooling it down where you get hotter as you go.

Latest posts

Back