Pair of Mac's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So, you go see a guy that is a fairly regular customer for tree work, says he has a big dead fallen tree that the staff have been cutting firewood from, but any saws they have are two small to deal with what is left- can you help me out.
Just so happens I have a nice refreshed 288XP with a new 36"bar itching for some work- so up we go.

Dealt to the big trunk, went and reported back to the client and he says can you have a look at something in the workshop?
In we go and he pulls out these two old Mac's and asked who should I take these to for repair? Seems neither run.
Next big town has a Stihl shop and a Suzuki bike shop that acts as a Husqvarna agent.
I tell him I think both those options would politely shy away from these and try to talk you into buying new saws from them.We talk a bit about what he wants them for, or expects them to do.
I tell him to throw them in the back of my truck and I will see what I can do- if I cannot get them running, I will try to diagnose why they do not run and what needs fixing/replacing before he decided to go any further

2 Macs.jpg 2 Macs 1.jpg 2 Macs 2.jpg 2 Macs 1.jpg

Attachments

• 2 Macs 3.jpg
    2 Macs 3.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
Well, the 650 runs.
Lots of cleaning, bit of swearing. Been a while since I have been deep in to a 600 series Mac- now I remember why- but all that was wrong was the decompression button was stuck in and the spark plug was gunked up.
By the stale fuel I drained out of the tank, I would say 25-1 at a minimum, lots more oil than gas.

The 310- well it might sit a while for a rainy day.

Not Mccullochs nicest saws that's for sure but I bet they have well earned the long rest though

No- they are not- Macbrick 650 and a little Devil from Hell 310- think there is some sentimental value involved- think they belonged to the guys not long passed Dad.
Typical Kiwi farm saw of the late 70's to mid 80's before Stihl started Farmbossing and Husky went Ranchering.
The 610 was a lot more common here than the 650.

About the only problem with the 650 (disregarding a near total lack of basic maintenance and heavy oil fuel mix) is the air filter has lost all the cellulose, is now just a wire mesh screen and the internal air box was filthy with fine particles.
Not sure I will be able to "off the shelf" one of those here easily or not. Or is there an easy "cheat"?

No- they are not- Macbrick 650 and a little Devil from Hell 310- think there is some sentimental value involved- think they belonged to the guys not long passed Dad.
Typical Kiwi farm saw of the late 70's to mid 80's before Stihl started Farmbossing and Husky went Ranchering.

About the only problem with the 650 (disregarding a near total lack of basic maintenance and heavy oil fuel mix) is the air filter has lost all the cellulose, is now just a wire mesh screen and the internal air box was filthy with fine particles.
Not sure I will be able to "off the shelf" one of those here easily or not. Or is there an easy "cheat"?

Get some of that thin foam air filter material that they make for window air conditioners, cut a piece and glue it on. J fixed an air filter element on a snowmobile with the same stuff the same way.

Bugger for the last God knows how many months there has been the air cleaners on trade me and ofcourse not now:(

Ebay will be an easy bet in the meantime hot glue a bit of whatever you have handy too it.

The 650 is the better 1 bigger exhaust port actually not bad old saws really. Is it oiling?

Bugger for the last God knows how many months there has been the air cleaners on trade me and ofcourse not now:(

Ebay will be an easy bet in the meantime hot glue a bit of whatever you have handy too it.

The 650 is the better 1 bigger exhaust port actually not bad old saws really. Is it oiling?

Yep, like it should- automatically and with manual assist. Heck- both saws have GB bars with greasable roller tips!!!!!

In regards to the air filter- ever buy a bag of vacuum cleaner bags and get a sheet of filter element clot in with them? :surprised3:

I can't get the magneto off my old 650 any help would be appreciated
b65d4e844e4d745fcb79feed964d6278.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Get some of that thin foam air filter material that they make for window air conditioners, cut a piece and glue it on. J fixed an air filter element on a snowmobile with the same stuff the same way.

That is exactly the kind of track I was thinking of heading down- but with vacuum cleaner sheet element material.

I can't get the magneto off my old 650 any help would be appreciated
b65d4e844e4d745fcb79feed964d6278.jpg

Not exactly sure I am the most qualified to help you there- if that puller isn't doing it for you.
Maybe the more knowledgeable Mac team will join in and help out?

Not exactly sure I am the most qualified to help you there- if that puller isn't doing it for you.
Maybe the more knowledgeable Mac team will join in and help out?
I don't understand why it won't come off

I don't understand why it won't come off

I am more of an impact the nut off, belt with a hammer and pry with a bar kind of guy- so as I say- perhaps not the best qualified to answer! :ices_rofl:
But maybe the key is sheared and lodged against the keyway or crank?
Maybe start a new thread and the Mac guru's will have a better chance of seeing it?

I am more of an impact the nut off, belt with a hammer and pry with a bar kind of guy- so as I say- perhaps not the best qualified to answer! :ices_rofl:
But maybe the key is sheared and lodged against the keyway or crank?
Maybe start a new thread and the Mac guru's will have a better chance of seeing it?
I tried a hammer then moved up to a air hammer I'll let it set with pressure on it for awhile longer I ordered a chip for it would like to clean the points first be for I try using a chip

Yep, like it should- automatically and with manual assist. Heck- both saws have GB bars with greasable roller tips!!!!!

In regards to the air filter- ever buy a bag of vacuum cleaner bags and get a sheet of filter element clot in with them? :surprised3:

What a good idea on the vacuum cleaner filter. Brilliant I've got a couple of filters to fix up thank you very much.

Yeah Oilers are the biggest trouble with those 600 series saws so that's good.

Well, the 310 surprised me! Only thing I could find "wrong" with it, was those exhaust ports full of carbon and unburnt oil.
I forgot to take photos before I gave it back to the owner- but it cleaned up really nice.
Had some cosmetic "issues"like the missing gimmick sharpener thing, for which I made a wooden plug and painted it black (couple of minutes on the lathe), because without plugging, it is the perfect hole to sling chips straight into your eyes.
By the time I filed the chain into something that would cut again- time for a new chain- plenty of spare 3/8LP 0.050 14"loops here- so that was no biggy.

The 650 did run well- so I decided to do some test cutting. About half way through the first tank of gas- it started showing all the bogging in the cut signs of a fairly good air leak- so will require more attention before it goes back to its owner.

Back