Pallets - how do you burn them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really sure the nails would harm the cat, but still a bit reluctant to burn them
It's obviously your choice, but this discussion was had elsewhere and someone brought up the fact that the tiny bit of zinc that could be on the nails (they are rarely zinc nails in pallets anyways) is no more than (probably much less) what can be in firewood naturally...just saying...

It's obviously your choice, but this discussion was had elsewhere and someone brought up the fact that the tiny bit of zinc that could be on the nails (they are rarely zinc nails in pallets anyways) is no more than (probably much less) what can be in firewood naturally...just saying...
I've read all the threads I can find on the topic and don't think it is a problem either. These nails are all rusted and are about 1.25 inches, no point with a twist shaft - just impossible to pull out without the heads popping off or pulling through the claw. Mostly about wanting to baby the new stove I guess ... in a few years, likely won't hesitate to burn pieces with the nails.

I get a fair number from work. I have to share with others but I normally can get a dozen every three months. It's enough to sort out the best ones to stack my firewood on, and I usually burn the rest. I have a good-sized OWB so I usually just hack them in rough thirds with a cordless sawzall and toss 'em in. I typically don't bother to deal with nails as my ashes get dumped over a steep bank and buried for future generations to discover....

I'm in the circular saw camp. There are so many dang nails in these things that I wouldn't want even the chain on my WildThing to get near them. However, after reading through this thread, I may look for a good blade for my Sawzall and see how that works.

I only use them to stack firewood on and by the time I season wood for a couple years the termites have ruined them so they go on the brush pile and get burned. (rarely can I stack wood on the same pallet twice)

I don't have the interest to go look , but on you tube there is a guy that has built a gadget that separates the stretchers from the runners in about 10 seconds very fast. Like fork lift tines sort of and a foot operated lever and 2 tines move up and 2 move down and viola they are separated.

I don't have the interest to go look , but on you tube there is a guy that has built a gadget that separates the stretchers from the runners in about 10 seconds very fast. Like fork lift tines sort of and a foot operated lever and 2 tines move up and 2 move down and viola they are separated.

Something like this?

Latest posts

Back