Palm Corrosion on MS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ekka,
We have some of those cocos palms you pictured. Never had the misfortune to have to trim them, thank God. None of my customers have them. We also have some real huge ugly palms (not sure what kind) that I saw in one of the city parks. I will take a pix the next time I drive by there.

Good idea to try that epoxy ceramic stuff.

I have tried other epoxy's but they do chip off and the corrosion continued under some of the coatings, like condensation! Problem also is the surfaces are so precise these days that just a whisper of the stuff stops you putting some pieces back together.

Hey Koa, palm pics yeah, how about those really itchy fishtale palms, they come in huge solitair or clumping crap...

... did you know they are monocarpic ...

... upon maturity and fruiting they die! Yep, then their really dodgey to work on.

What about that prickly matted clog your saw and bar SB sugar palm (arenga palm) now that's a flamin mongrel.

Yeah, I have removed a few of those fishtail palms....they got to be one of the dirtiest type of palms around.

vharrison2 said:
Here is a beautiful palm.......anyone have a guess as to what it is?

The picture is kind of small on my screen. Is it a blue latan palm, Latania loddigesii ?

I do invasive culling in nature reserves, our biggest problem (next to Schinus and Casuarina) is chinese fan palms (Livistona), but they are fairly easy to deal with, pretty skinny and the heads aren't too big. HATE Phoenix, esp dactylifera - one sent me to the hospital, basal thorn right through the elbow, missed the artery and joint thank God, had to be cut out. :cry: If you want to clean your chain, cut a palm, looks like new when you're finished! :cool:

vharrison2 said:
Here is a beautiful palm.......anyone have a guess as to what it is?

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it's either a latan or a bismarkia.

Bermie, Livistona chinensis is weedy one in the forest I work in too. At least it's nice and soft and doesn't have too many thorns. You think phoenix palms are bad (I know they are!)? Try messing with a rattan palm, it's like a pin cushion, even has spines on the leaves!

jenkinsiana02.jpg

Hey Leon,
What kind of palm is the huge ones in the park along South King St, between Keeaumoku and Kaheka St. The head is so big I would never want to have to trim those. If you don't know which ones I am talking about, take a drive down there. It is just outside the valley you work in.

It is the Bismarkia Nobllis. I think we have one of the rattan palms in our yard. I know it looks like that. I will have to ask John if it is that species.

Koa Man, not ringing a bell. I'll probably drive that way sometime today so I'll take a look and see.

vharrison,

yeah that Aiphanes is a nasty one too. I think the seeds are edible on that species.

When I worked in aus there was one palm that had DREADFULL thorns on it, the only way to describe them was like back to back fish hooks all the way down the foliage. anyone else seen those?

I don't have specific expertise with Palms.

But regarding that corrosion in general, would it be possible to attach a small sacrificial anode to the saw? And if possible, I wonder if it would be effective at all.

Hey yea that might be a good idea Sylvatica, hey Ekka in aussie they have all those gismos for keeping corrosion on vehicles, maby you could slap a mini version on your saw? I dont even know how those things work, but its an idea.

Back