Partner 5000....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric howes

Eric howes

ArboristSite Operative
So I helped a guy with a few things around his house as a favor and to my surprise he gave me a old chainsaw. It's a partner 5000, he said it hasn't been ran in like 20 years and didn't know what was wrong with it. It feels like it has plenty of compression. When I got home I put some fresh fuel in it and gave it a prime with some raw fuel in the carb. It fired right up but only ran what fuel I primed it with though . So I think it needs a carb rebuild kit and a filter. We're these saws any good? I know it's just a small 50cc saw but I figured it would be a good little project to get going.

Eric howes

Eric howes

ArboristSite Operative
I'll rebuild the carb if I can find a rebuild kit. After that ill see what I can do to it to increase some performance, maybe even a base gasket delete if there is enough room for it. Is there any other cylinders that fit this saw?

Modifiedmark
Excellent saw. Replace the intake rubbers for some cheap insurance. They're a 44mm Husky 55 closed port if I remember correctly.

Actually Brian, its the other way around, Husqvarna used that Partner design cylinders on there saws. The 55 closed port was actually 45mm and a little bit different then the Jonsered 590 45mm closed port. I have been told the combustion chamber on the Jonsered 490 is a bit better then the Husky version.

The guys in Europe say that some 5000 saws were also open port but the 5000+ seemed to be all 44mm closed port.

Modifiedmark
I'll rebuild the carb if I can find a rebuild kit. After that ill see what I can do to it to increase some performance, maybe even a base gasket delete if there is enough room for it. Is there any other cylinders that fit this saw?

Carb kit is standard and easy to get k10WAT if I remember right. There are other cylinders that fit but if yours is a 44mm closed port there are not many any better. The Jonsered 590 was a 45mm closed port and the later Poulan Pro 325 and Partner 5500 were the top dog 46mm closed ports. Doubt you find those very easy.

A good running 5000+ will hang with most of the newer so called wonder 50cc saws all day everyday..

bplust

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Actually Brian, its the other way around, Husqvarna used that Partner design cylinders on there saws. The 55 closed port was actually 45mm and a little bit different then the Jonsered 590 45mm closed port. I have been told the combustion chamber on the Jonsered 490 is a bit better then the Husky version.

The guys in Europe say that some 5000 saws were also open port but the 5000+ seemed to be all 44mm closed port.

Thank you for the clarification Mark, I didn't realize that it was originally a Partner design.

Cantdog
Definitely a good find Eric. This how I understand the family to be.....and others probably know more than I but here goes from my experience. Between the two brands of this family, Jonsereds and Partner, there were three different configurations....first the Partner 500 which was 44mm open port....then there were the 5000, 5000+ and the 490 Jonsereds which were 44mm closed port and lastly the Jonsereds 590 which was 45mm closed port. The 590 also had a few other things different from the rest like four screws to hold the recoil on and a brace on the bottom left side from the top handle to the trigger handle. Mark may be right on the open port 5000 but I haven't run across one. I gonna guess your 5000 will be closed port......but again, I wouldn't take that to the bank...

Modifiedmark
Definitely a good find Eric. This how I understand the family to be.....and others probably know more than I but here goes from my experience. Between the two brands of this family, Jonsereds and Partner, there were three different configurations....first the Partner 500 which was 44mm open port....then there were the 5000, 5000+ and the 490 Jonsereds which were 44mm closed port and lastly the Jonsereds 590 which was 45mm closed port. The 590 also had a few other things different from the rest like four screws to hold the recoil on and a brace on the bottom left side from the top handle to the trigger handle. Mark may be right on the open port 5000 but I haven't run across one. I gonna guess your 5000 will be closed port......but again, I wouldn't take that to the bank...

Robin, as far as I know all the North American 5000 were closed port,(mine is) I was just telling that in Europe that might not be the case from what I have been told from some Europeans. As far as the details you note being different on the 590, Partners also got the same upgrades. Actually my 490 has the 4 screw recoil.

There were also others after like I said, the Poulan Pro 325, the Partner 540, Partner 5500, Jobu 949 and the last was the Partner 543. There was also a Formula 500 at one time but it escapes me what was different about it. It might have been a 45mm open port. I have them all save 949 and 543 which along with the 540 and 5500 were Europe only saws. I also do not have the Formula 500 which is rare in north america and seems to have been mostly Europe.

When the Partner 500 came out it set the standard for 50cc saws and held that title for years and years.

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
. AS Supporting Member.
I am still on the hunt to find a saw as good as my two Jonsered 590’s

MS362...naw
PS 420..possibly
PS 5105...possibly, but probably not

The power and handling are hard to equal. The anti vibe is adequate.

I would fix that saw and keep it forever.

The recoil cover is weak. Short, hard pulls to start it. And hold the cord out. It can pull back hard and break the cover...

Jeff Lary

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I have a few myself that's all I have ever run bought mine new in 84. They are a hell of a saw I cannot post numbers or specs like some here but I can say when compared to a husky 55,.. there is no comparison at all. I run a brand new 55 for a day when they first came out mine was in need of a new bar so for the day I used my boss's 55. I could not wait to get my saw back in my hands the next day,...the 55 is not even close.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
I have a small collection of 5000`s 5000+ and Poulan Pro 323`s, for stock saws they are real fast cutting saws that it took a good many years for other saw makers to come close in saws in their cc range. I have put a lot of hours on all of them , did a lot of smaller tree clearing with them. Fast saws in trees/wood under 12" dia, mostly softwood with lots of limbs so they were just what was needed at that time.

Modifiedmark
I have a few myself that's all I have ever run bought mine new in 84. They are a hell of a saw I cannot post numbers or specs like some here but I can say when compared to a husky 55,.. there is no comparison at all. I run a brand new 55 for a day when they first came out mine was in need of a new bar so for the day I used my boss's 55. I could not wait to get my saw back in my hands the next day,...the 55 is not even close.

I agree with this but still don't understand exactly why. The Partner 540 and 543 use the same exact 46mm open port piston and cylinder that the open port Husqvarna 55 did. My 540 is a noticeably stronger running saw then any Husqvarna 55 that I have had my hands on. I'm guessing the case volume must be matched better on the Partner and maybe the muffler works better..

Cantdog
Robin, as far as I know all the North American 5000 were closed port,(mine is) I was just telling that in Europe that might not be the case from what I have been told from some Europeans. As far as the details you note being different on the 590, Partners also got the same upgrades. Actually my 490 has the 4 screw recoil.

There were also others after like I said, the Poulan Pro 325, the Partner 540, Partner 5500, Jobu 949 and the last was the Partner 543. There was also a Formula 500 at one time but it escapes me what was different about it. It might have been a 45mm open port. I have them all save 949 and 543 which along with the 540 and 5500 were Europe only saws. I also do not have the Formula 500 which is rare in north america and seems to have been mostly Europe.

When the Partner 500 came out it set the standard for 50cc saws and held that title for years and years.

Do you remember what year your 490 is? I have an 83 490 Jonsereds and an 84 490 Jonsered and they both are three screw recoils. I can't remember what year my 590 is....but I'm thinking 85.

Eric howes

Eric howes

ArboristSite Operative
The 5000 still had a 3 bolt starter cover and the all metal loop chainbrake handle. I know the original 5000 had the Ignitron ign like the early 500 did and am not sure if the straight 5000 got switched to the one piece ign or not.
The 5000 I have has a plastic chainbrake handle

Modifiedmark
Do you remember what year your 490 is? I have an 83 490 Jonsereds and an 84 490 Jonsered and they both are three screw recoils. I can't remember what year my 590 is....but I'm thinking 85.

Sorry Robin I do not know the year and not sure how to tell. To make sure I wasn't confused again I just walked out through the snow to the back of the shop to double check it. Mine is a silver tag SN 5462222, no date on it like I seen on some of the other Partners. I have IPL for the 490 for 84 and 85. They both show the same part number for the recoils. The only 590 IPL I have is a 88 and it shows a different part number for the recoil housing.

Do you have any later 490 IPL's?

Looking at Magnus site, there is a 490 that is listed as a 84 and hard to see in the picture it appears to be a 3 screw cover.

You can see the 4 screw on mine... 100_3098 (Medium).JPG

Latest posts