partner 5000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cob webs are clearing up abit.
Partner was the designer. Saw chassis, and parts were also used by J-reds, Husky, and Poulan Pro ( gold/black colors-not green).
Very sucessful design.

P5000 had:
"Partner Super Av" design. Bar connecting front & rear handles running by the starter housing. Better control, lowered 'vides.
Two piston rings. Special cast iron alloy.
"Power Flo" piston.
Closed port ( loop scavanged) cylinder.
Orginal color was pro yellow.
Easy 10% power increase over the P500.

P500 had:
Regular av set up.
One piston ring. Special cast iron alloy.
Standard piston.
Open port cylinder.
Orginal colors were yellow, and black.

Tony Marks,
You have a P500. Most every part between the 500 & 5000 will interchange. Easy to upgrade, and find parts between all the Swedish cousins.

Horizontal piston marks are actually machined lines.
Pisiton are cam ground, and actually 'flatter' on the exhaust side. As the cylinder heated up, the piston exhaust side would expand making it more correctly fit the cylinder.
Most cylinders/pistons were made by Mahle of Germany.

This was a sound, robust design, and build. Can serve very well.

okay saw man ,glad u could remember. this has a 5000 cover but only one ring,so
i guess the guy pulled one of the wrong stack.:) did u have any idea about the large piston ring . at least twice as thick as the 335 two ring.
also mikes got a picture i want to study to understandwhat u said about the handle.
this one does have the handle u described, for the 5000. connecting rear and front handle. u reckon this fella was nipping a little brew that day.truth is it just indicates to me ,all the interchanging probably done by those who put these saws togather.apparently this one got a 500 power head and 5000 everthing else, or i guess it could have been ,changed later.
if u arnt familar with mikes site its called chain saw collectors corner. mabe u already know it, but u are new here so
thot id mention it.:) thanks again.

Last edited:
A lot of parts can easily get swapped.....

I the orginal style rings were somewhat thicker due to the "barrel faced" shape.
Think of the side of a barrel, which is kind of bulging. The contact point on a new cylinder was minimal for break in, and as all parts broke in (wore in) higher overall compression was maintained as the ring barrel face got 'flatter'.
Rings had to carrrrrrrrrefully be installed. Many dealers broke or damaged them due to poor work habits.
Rings were more $$$.

Other rings were steel alloys. Some cylinders were chrome coated vs NikaSil (which is better). So different rings were necessary.
However, to meet certain price points cheaper cylinders, and rings were used. They were still good set ups, but had reduced life, and wore out faster at higher rpms.

There are actually lots of workable combinations.

heres the info,
if you have serial number after 024'572 then you have the new pump style already

steel stud is after 024'721

though it could already have the new pump if someone put it on

part number for new pump 505 31 72-34
and steel stud 721 12 10-40

as for your muffler it probably would be a good idea to open it up and let that little saw breath better

When the saws came out in the early 80's and Husky came out with the 50 they must be vitually the same saw. You can take the cylinder and piston off the P5000 and put it right on the Husky 50. But look out that thing will really scream. It's one lean mean wood cutting machine. For some reason the 5000 cylinder and piston set up ran better on the Husky than it did the Partner. The distributor over in NC at the time was Husky power owned by Jim Thompson. They change a few of them out and called them the 50 Magnum but that was as far as I ever saw it go. I don't think Partner like the idea that it would run better on the Husky.

well aint that a pill.this saw went from one i couldnt find any dope on ,to one that seems intertwined with a lot o saws history.u guys really go back in this stuff.
i think we can all get a better picture
of where these saws at now ,by knowing where they coming from.i know bull dogs ,raceing pigeons ,and am pretty good at turf an lawn maintenance,and the machinery.
dont know how i used these things 30 or more yrs an never got the bug.all i ever knew was, that ole homelite was my bud,
then i got a hold of an 028. man that was the cats meow.both saws had one thing in common . u didnt work onum, u worked withum.these were as close to bullet proof as u get. one thing i learned over the yrs tho was that most saws homeowner, whatever ,[with a few exceptions],will do pretty fair with good mix and maintenance.

P70

I searched and this seems to be the closest to the question I have. I have a Partner P70, made in sweden stamped on bottom. I have checked Mikes site, and it does not list it. I do not think it is a pioneer at all. Does any one know what saw this can be compared to accurately. I traded a couple emails with someone from here and what they thought it might be did not make sense. The suggestion was it was a 7000 model, but the picture is way different with the starter on the opposite side. I just want to find out some specs and will need to clean up the cylinder some. thanks, JB

I sold both 500s and 5000s in the early 80s. They were very good saws, even by todays standards. I have a friend who bought a 5000 from me; it will cut with the 2149s 651s and 026s, and it is a 1980 model saw.

I don't know if there are any oiler parts left or not, I just sell em new saws.

Re: P70

Originally posted by johncinco
I searched and this seems to be the closest to the question I have. I have a Partner P70, made in sweden stamped on bottom. I have checked Mikes site, and it does not list it. I do not think it is a pioneer at all. Does any one know what saw this can be compared to accurately. I traded a couple emails with someone from here and what they thought it might be did not make sense. The suggestion was it was a 7000 model, but the picture is way different with the starter on the opposite side. I just want to find out some specs and will need to clean up the cylinder some. thanks, JB

P70 is a pro saw was made from 1978-80 it is 70 cc's 2" bore same size as the 7000 which went from 1980-83 so it probably replaced it. Dont know if they share parts or not.

tony u are rite about that. the 5000
i fixed up is one of 4 i have in that size.
it has that narrow kerf chain. it is the fastest of the 4. if it was a little newer it mite be my choice for the one im gonna have power tuned.

Found the info

Thanks the info emailed to me. It was sure enough under AB Partner on mikes site. It is a real nice saw to handle and i think I will put a 16" bar on it for limbs and such and not bust it up too bad. It came with a 3/8 chain and about a 30" brand new husky bar. That will sit for now to be used milling later with a bigger saw.

Glad you found the info you were looking for.
The data that is entered in the site is taken from original factory material where ever it is available. No guess work.

Latest posts

Back