Partner P-70 to Chainsaw Heaven? HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieG

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My main firewood saw, an old Partner P-70, crapped out today. Began running poorly, but ran, then died. Figured since it was running rough, it was a fuel issue. Replaced the fuel line, fuel filter, and fresh go juice. Plug looked good with good spark. Fired up, ran awhile, then crapped out, but was blowing a little smoke. Checked the carb adjustments, they were OK. Fired up, blew more smoke-uh oh. Pulled the muffler, and the exhaust side of the piston is scored. Now it won't start. Any advice regarding the possible parts sources for the ol' beast for a rebuild? And are there books out there regarding the complete rebuilding of 2 stroke chainsaw engines-with lots of pictures:D. It always ran well, and started easy. I know it's like 28 years old, but I'd like to try rebuilding it. Are the parts from the current Partner Cut-off saws compatible with the P-70, or am I going on a long journey in search of the parts? While I do all my own work, I'm not a professional small engine mechanic-Any thing you got is appreciated!

Yes, I guess I'll be getting a new 372 or 2171 to replace to the damaged toy. But would current Husky/Jonsered parts fix my broken saw?

Yes, I guess I'll be getting a new 372 or 2171 to replace to the damaged toy. But would current Husky/Jonsered parts fix my broken saw?

Sorry, but I find that highly unlikely, old stock is what you should be looking for......

I believe the P16 family died out with the P7000 and 650, quite a few years ago.

Last edited:
Pull it down

Chances are very good that the crankcase screws loosened up and it sucked chain oil into the crankcase.

This would be the reason for the smoke and can cause piston scoring when carbon builds up in the decompression slot in the cylinder.

They are not the easiest to rebuild but not the hardest either.

Parts are available NOS and aftermarket that will get it back into shape.

The tricky part is buying JUST a piston......they are usually P&C kits together.

Last edited:
If your P70 has the one piece ignition coil mounted to the cylinder, the aftermarket P&C kits from the K650 and K700 cutoff saws will fit, as will piston-only kits. I agree with looking at the case half bolts to be sure they're tight. Check crank seals and bearings too at this stage. The seals are easy to replace from the outside, but there's a press fit washer behind the clutch that's tough to remove without damage.
The T-Port decompression slot is prone to accumulating carbon and taking out the piston in time. I've had one with this fate. Drop me a pm if you need help.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but there is a bright side.
I ran a Swedish built P70 for many, many years. All I can tell you is when mine went south parts were hard to find, then so it was replaced by my Husky 268XP. Lets just say, my only regret was that the P70 didn't pass on sooner. Nothing bad to say about my P70, it served me well, but compared to the newer designs it was really lacking.
Good luck, hope all goes well.

My main firewood saw, an old Partner P-70, crapped out today. Began running poorly, but ran, then died. Figured since it was running rough, it was a fuel issue. Replaced the fuel line, fuel filter, and fresh go juice. Plug looked good with good spark. Fired up, ran awhile, then crapped out, but was blowing a little smoke.
White or blue smoke?
This is how a crank case airleak typically shows.
Checked the carb adjustments, they were OK. Fired up, blew more smoke-uh oh. Pulled the muffler, and the exhaust side of the piston is scored. Now it won't start.
This is what happence when signals get ignored of the problem.
If the carb settings were OK... What were they then?
Had it recived more fuel it might had run a bit, but still would die.
It would help you to diagnose though.
Any advice regarding the possible parts sources for the ol' beast for a rebuild? And are there books out there regarding the complete rebuilding of 2 stroke chainsaw engines-with lots of pictures:D. It always ran well, and started easy. I know it's like 28 years old, but I'd like to try rebuilding it. Are the parts from the current Partner Cut-off saws compatible with the P-70, or am I going on a long journey in search of the parts? While I do all my own work, I'm not a professional small engine mechanic-Any thing you got is appreciated!

P55/P70 is the last chainsaws in the R16 series I think. It has same style and build up.
I am not too familiar with this model, never had it in my hands, but I bet there is some other 65-70cc prior this you could take cylinder/piston from.
The F65, R420/421, R523, even R20/21 could be a good Idea to have a look at.

What cylinder number does this have?
There is a stamped/casted number in bace of cylinder.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back