• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Parts for Northern Tool chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon1270

Jon1270

ArboristSite Operative
I picked up my first chain grinder on CL and, not having any experience with them, didn't assess it very well before buying. It's one of the Northern Tool 511A knockoffs that were popular a few years ago. The knob underneath that tightens the vise is broken, and it's missing the pawl knob and centering spring that facilitate laterally positioning the chain stop. I also only got the 1/8" wheel, so I could use 3/16" and 1/4" wheels, and a dressing brick. I can jury rig the missing and broken parts if I need to, but thought I'd check here in case someone has one of these sitting around. Thanks.

Jon1270

Jon1270

ArboristSite Operative
Those HF grinders show up on CL pretty frequently, often so cheaply that the gas and time to go get one might exceed the cash price. I've never handled one, but they don't seem to have a great reputation whereas the Northern Tool version is supposed to be pretty good.

I can scavenge a spring from something else, make a pawl knob on the lathe at work and JB Weld the vise knob back into functionality. It would've been smarter to just buy one in better condition to begin with, but that ship has sailed.

Latest posts