Pawn shop John Deere cs56

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tuned the saw by ear and then checked it with the tach before the mod. After the mod I checked it with the tach and it reved approx 1000 higher. I did not adjust the mix. I left it rich for break in.
Thank you for the data.

Your original post said you tuned it to 12,900. Does that mean it is now running 13,900 WOT ?

To my eye, the OEM muffler outlet looks just the right size. I don't recall seeing a baffle inside, just a tube, but I'll have to give it another look to refresh my memory.

Thank you for the data.

Your original post said you tuned it to 12,900. Does that mean it is now running 13,900 WOT ?

To my eye, the OEM muffler outlet looks just the right size. I don't recall seeing a baffle inside, just a tube, but I'll have to give it another look to refresh my memory.

Yes +/- 150 rpm. A tube is a better way of describing it. Mine has this tube with a 3/8 hole on either side of the end of the tube. I added a couple more 3/8 holes forward of the cylinder exhaust port. Also opened the muffler exhaust port to approx 1". The surface area of the factory deflector opening is slightly less than half the cyl exhaust port.

That new deflector is a good way to do that muffler mod since the clearence is kinda tight on that series saw.

I came close to buying a new John Deere 5220 a year or so ago. They were firm on there price at the time and I was firm on not givin it to em. :givebeer:

I may try one in the future though, they look good.

It is very tight, besides I wanted to try something different than the standard tube.
I did not purchase one at Deere for the same reason. They do not budge on anything. I may give the rest of the lineup a try myself. Seem to be a well built saw.

I love my 56. If I were to want the bigger 62 I think I'd go with the P&C swap instead of paying the JD price. I got mine for $225 off ebay last fall.

I run a 20" narrow kerf bar and chain combo I got from baileys. loops run right at 12 bucks and I think I got the bar for about 20 bucks.

Its my goto saw and handles everything very well.

JD cs56

This all sounds great as I've just bought one of these along with an MS170 for $50.00 off Kijiji. Hopefully they just need cleaning up and fuel line carb kits etc. Worst case I can break them up and sell parts for more than $50.00. I'll be back when I get my hands on them and see what the story is.

Lee:blob2::blob2::blob2:

It was a snowy first day of spring!!

Boy I didn't realise how old this thread was!!

I just got one of them also, it just needs a piston and rings. Spent a good deal of time last evening trying to identify who made these green deere saws. I take it that the Efco 156 is the same saw?

Yes it is. And an efco 162/jd cs56 jug will bolt right on there. But the 56's are very good runners just the way they are.

I take it that the Efco 156 is the same saw?

Yes, correct.

And since this thread was brought back from the dead, I give you an update on my CS-56. Still running like a top. The old American Made Homelite bars are much tougher than the black JD bars supplied with this saw [or the gray Cub Cadet equivilents.] I think those were rebranded Oregons. I think I will get a Sugihara as I feel this saw will be in service for a long time.

The only other problem I have had with the saw is that ethanol laced fuel loosened that serial number sticker and it fell off the saw. Since JD sold these with a lifetime warrenty on the ignition, I assume it would be a fight with the dealer if anything ever happened. I did find the tag and taped it inside the cover of the owners manual. Time will tell.

I just got one of them also, it just needs a piston and rings. Spent a good deal of time last evening trying to identify who made these green deere saws. I take it that the Efco 156 is the same saw?

Yes they are but not totally. The 156 has quad transfers in the cyl. My CS56 has transfers like 272 Husky or MS440 having a brain lapse on terminology. 162 cyl has quad transfers. I got a buncha Efcos no problems so far. I still like em even after all the problems one of the sponsors had with the company.
Shep

Yes they are but not totally. The 156 has quad transfers in the cyl. My CS56 has transfers like 272 Husky or MS440 having a brain lapse on terminology. 162 cyl has quad transfers. I got a buncha Efcos no problems so far. I still like em even after all the problems one of the sponsors had with the company.
Shep

This is my first one, given to me of course cause it was straight gassed and the piston is lightly scored. The saw will still start and run but the idle is lousy. When I get some time I will pull it down and see how bad it has been damaged. Have not found a piston for it yet.

Latest posts

Back