Payback time fiquring for a OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyToysDream

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When we bought our OWB this summer, the dealer had this outdated chart on the wall, on how long it would take to get your money paybacked for a OWB purchase. If I went by their math method, it would be about 5-6 yrs for us. They only fiqured the cost of whatever you were using for fuel, for the year divided into the OWB purchase price would give you the time in years for payback. They did not take into account the price of the wood.

I tried to explain it to him, that if we use 500 gallons of propane a year, times whatever it is a gallon, then subtract whatever the amount of wood we use will cost us, then the end result in dollars would be what we save for that year. I am guessing closer to 10 yrs payback for us.
We should save some electric costs also, as we have a heat exchanger on the hot water tank.

For me it is simple math 1000 gallons of propane a year. (Furnace and hot water) This years lock in price of 2.96 per gallon = 2960.00 cost of wood 0 dollars payback in less than 4 years. I have some wood on my own property but this year I used craigslist to find free wood and should not have to cut on my property at all. :)

I agree with the above, however, we need to factor in the true cost of wood - even "free" wood. In addition to what we actually pay for the wood we also need to consider how much additional time and money we spend getting the wood cut/split/transported to the OWB and also the lost potential to make $$$ doing other activities when we are spending that time to feed our OWB's.

Last edited:
Figuring the cost payback is never that simple. You have opportunity costs to consider also, that would be to take into consideration how much money your $10,000 would earn if it were invested. So if you could have made 10% off your ten grand you could have heated your house for free!! Or not!! Personally I think the cost of heating is only going to go up so every year your payback will get closer. and your house will be as warm as you want it to be. Plus you don't have to pay membership at the gym cuz your getting enough of a work out at home...:clap: Your in it now so you may as well just enjoy the independence and forget about what it cost you. Now when they talk of $5 a gallon propane you can just sit back and smile to yourself.

payback periods ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we bought our OWB this summer, the dealer had this outdated chart on the wall, on how long it would take to get your money paybacked for a OWB purchase. If I went by their math method, it would be about 5-6 yrs for us. They only fiqured the cost of whatever you were using for fuel, for the year divided into the OWB purchase price would give you the time in years for payback. They did not take into account the price of the wood.

I tried to explain it to him, that if we use 500 gallons of propane a year, times whatever it is a gallon, then subtract whatever the amount of wood we use will cost us, then the end result in dollars would be what we save for that year. I am guessing closer to 10 yrs payback for us.
We should save some electric costs also, as we have a heat exchanger on the hot water tank.

OK before we get any further: you have to decide what your time is worth including the items below.

A payback period involves its opportunity cost; the present value of the dollar cost, the interest expense for the asset and installation purchase cost, the depreciation of said asset-seven years at most, expenses for repair of the asset-annual water treatment, possible pump replacement, and what it costs to operate it, unexpected expenses such as welding to repair leaks and the scrap value of the asset.

I know its not something you want to deal with but it involves

1.The initial cost of the boiler/furnace and its complete labor and installation costs for the concrete slab and excavation of the trench or trenches, the tubing for heat transfer, once you lose heat in a trench you have to reheat it again.

The back filling of the trenches after testing, the wiring in the separate pipe for the controls of the boiler. The household liability rider for your systems installation period for several days.

2. The Installment loan interest expense of the loan for the seven years or less.

3. The cost per month every month of operation of the electrical energy it uses to deliver the heat energy to your home for heating and or domestic hot water.
a. The additional insurance costs for the asset, this should include addional insurance in case of a lightning strike which would fry the controls of the boiler and could install a neat hole in it too. living on a mountain with a well and a steel casing has both cost me and made me a student of lightning.

4. The actual delivered cost of wood or coal or pellet or wood chip fuel for the OWB or OWF per year.

5. The fuel tax paid on said fuel if any every year.

6,. the cost of fossil fuel used during the periods when the OWB or OWF is not operating-no fire/away on vacation.

The total cost of the asset and installation expense, plus utilities, and water you paid for the water being pumped into your boiler every month, and the fuel, fuel tax, additonal insurance and most of all what is your time worth to go out and fill a boiler several times a a day if you have a small water tank in your boiler versus a hot water storage tank as an additional means to store water and reduce the amount of wood you burn in total by heating up a huge amount of water just once a day or two.

So a dealer showing you a return on a household investment is very misleading due to all the above factors. I am not downing anything but you have to understand what is involved as the minute they leave your install they made all thier money before hand and you are paying for the privilage of owning an outdoor boiler for seven years not including the fuel , fuel tax, utilities expense, water expense, annual water treament expense, water testing expense, loss of heat energy due to the inherent ineffiencies of some boilers with out forced draft fans, and everything I have mentioned above last but no least is the expense and desire for a generator to run the boiler when the power is out and to pump water into the boiler if needed from a well.

Most of all how close are your nearest neighbors and are they friendly??????

I have no desire to start a flame war with anyone but a payback period explained by a dealer to a customer is a fallacy simply due to actual expenses and present values versus future values of assets and expenses.

leon :chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn: :( :dizzy:

Last edited:
I'm with Johnny Ringo on this one. Way to complicated time spent etc. I don't need to go there. Time I have money I need to earn and I would rather have it in my pocket not the gas companies. As for earning money have you looked at our economy the stock market? I don't know about you but my investments are tanking. I am no financial wizard I don't even know if I spelled it right but I think it was the right decision to get the wood boiler. Maybe I will invest some of the money I would have given the gas company who knows.

:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Leon - I read you post a few times - way over my head. Doesn't make any sense to me - sorry

Last edited:
Leon......wow......lots of things in your post to respond to :)

We have about $ 9800 into our total system. Hubby was able to get a coworker to do the trench for $ 100. We used the insulated pex, and was told, one will lose about 1 degree per 100 ft run. Our run is about 26 ft.
Hubby did most all the wiring. A friend of ours did the plumbing and a small part of the wiring in return for the $ 65 crimping tool we bought him.

We own 2 acres and we have our own well. So no extra cost for the water. Our system holds 196 gallons. Have not had to add any since initail setup.

Did not even think about adding any additional insurance.

I did not agree with the salesperson when he first showed us the chart. I told him it was outdated, and no where did it even take into the equation what the wood for the year would cost. I did a lot of chuckling over that chart.......told him I could make him a better one :)

Closest neighbor one way is about 1/4 mile, and the other one is 1/2 mile :)

I got to push the pencil, and get us the best deal, and hubby gets to fill the furnace......I got the easier part :)
We are going to be nice and warm this winter, and I can scratch a monthly propane bill off the budget.
:greenchainsaw:

I fiqure by buying a wood furnace, it was a good investment.

Last edited:
i've questioned "pay backs" for OWB's several times here, especially when i see what the purchase price of them are. in the OP, the dealer was figuring in just the purchase price, and not, as leon pointed out, the actual cost which includes the purchase price, the additional materials, the additional labor to install the thing.

several people claimed it was well worth the investment because they heated with oil, which, i could probably understand because heating oil is expensive. however, the cost of a natural gas furnace that is 92% efficient, is only $1200 and probably about $2500 (total cost) to have it installed. for me, that alone would be a better investment than spending $14,000 on a wood burner that i now have to sweat and slave to feed.

OWB's sound like they are some nice equipment, but before i was going to sink 14 grand into one, i'd invest in insulation, windows, doors and anything else that would make my home use less energy to heat.

just my opinion.

Exactly - Doesn't need to be much more complicted than that

actually, it does: your monthly payment for X number of years versus your winter heating bills.

however, for some people, the OWB's are a real pay back, as the lady explained previously. her situation isn't always the case.

Last edited:
When we first decided we were going with a OWB......my reasoning was we were not going to be held hostage by the propane company who would only increase it's prices every year. 18 years of heating with propane, and we were happy with it, till the price per gallon really started jumping.

We thought about a pellet stove, but very glad we did not go that route now. Pellets locally are hard to find, price keeps going up, and some places have a limit of 10 bags per vehicle.

I fiqured we could get our wood a lot cheaper than any other fuel out there.
This year we did buy it, ready to go. Next spring, we will explore other options.

I can remember as a child on the dairy farm, mom sending us out with buckets to bring back whatever wood scraps, bark, etc, for the kitchen wood stove. We had a fuel oil furnace in the celler but she was forever fussing about the cost to fill that tank.

Just over 2 yrs ago, we upgraded our paid off doublewide.
We added a room, deck with roof, ALL new windows entire structure, T1-11 the thicker siding, new shingles entire house.....

actually, it does: your monthly payment for X number of years versus your winter heating bills.

What monthly payment ?? Not everyone has one. I own my OWB/I burn scrap wood that is pretty much free and I burn no oil/gas for heat or hot water. I suspect lots of people who buy OWB's or even wood stoves are in the same boat.

I never really figured the pay back on my Country Flame insert. All I know is I like to heat my home with "free" wood:) I feel like I am getting away with something when I hear people at work complaining about their natural gas bills and they look at me and I just grin:) I paid $2550 for my insert including the double wall pipe, cap, and flashing, and have never regretted it for one minute. I get a lot of enjoyment from it, something that a lot of people just can't understand. I like to cut wood and be outside. I built my own splitter and just like tinkering. It is like a hobby to me. My insert is 4 years old now and I am sure it has paid for itself.

I get a lot of enjoyment from it, something that a lot of people just can't understand.

I hear ya.

Tonight I have OWB burning for hot water (burns almost nothing). It was cold and windy today so when I got in I fired up the wood stove in the living room just because sitting here with a fire going just feels good.

Less than 2 years

My OWB and a new splitter as well as 372xp saw was just about $10K for everything. My home uses about 1,600 gallons per year (my domestic hot water included). At $4 per gallon fuel oil costs $6400. In 2 years that would be $12,800. Oil may drop OR rise, but even if oil dropped to $3 per gallon I would still have a 2 year payback. ALL of my wood is free and I enjoy doing the work. I'm also not supporting the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia----This alone is reason enough to use wood. As far as electricity I have 2 extra circulator pumps that work with a heat exchanger. I would use nearly the same electricity anyways with the existing 4 pumps. AND my house will be WARM !!! No more 65 degrees ! If it's below zero outside I will have Caribbean weather inside. I will wear shorts, T-shirts, and flip-flops all winter dammit!!!!:chainsaw:

Every time I look outside my 74 degree home after a very long, very hot shower and see that tiny bit of smoke rising my OWB pays for itself right there.

The propane and nat gas companies and oil exporters can all kiss my ass.

I get a lot of enjoyment from it, something that a lot of people just can't understand. I like to cut wood and be outside. I built my own splitter and just like tinkering. It is like a hobby to me.

+2+:clap:
People whose sole reason for burning wood is saving money and need to get out a slide rule and calculator to decide if it is worth their precious time should not waste money by purchasing wood burning equipment to start with IMO. These are the people who soon tire of it all and then make bargain priced woodburners available to us die hards.

"what is your time worth" while cutting and preparing the wood? Same price it is setting next to the TV, or sleeping, or chasing the ole woman around the house, ZILCH!!

If anything in life that requires a person to get off his duff means it is costing him money per hour please explain where does the money go? and who gets it? Who pays it?
If that is too complicated then how about this, how is my time suddenly worth more cutting wood than say sitting on the crapper 5 minutes before?

Mine paid for itself the first day I had it lit. While sitting here on the computer, I looked out the window and saw the gas man drive by. I just sat here and laughed to myself and mumbled "keep on going buddy".

Latest posts

Back