Peavy Manufacturing Co. Pickeroons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN Ripper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody own one of their Pickeroons? Was tossing the idea around of getting one before I attack the log pile this winter. Maybe I'm getting lazy about bending over hundreds of times when splitting firewood and thought this might save some time and back strain.

Saw the blue Logrite one in Baileys catalog is on sale. Sure its nice but I'm thinking the 30" handle is short and will the rubber handle grip hold up over time? If I get one from Peavy I would get the 36" handle. They have several heads thinking the "Penobscot Head" would work best for what I'm doing-hardwood firewood. Any recommendations?

http://peaveymfg.com/pickeroons.htm

The Logrite does come in different lengths, 24" 30" 36" and even 48". Check it out on thier site, http://store.logrite.com/hookaroons.html.

I built my first couple of hookaroons and both wooden handles ended up cracking. Perhaps in softwood they would do better. I spent the money on a Logrite, and have no regrets other than not getting it sooner. The tip is replaceable, I think they run about $11? but it is very well made and I don't think it will need replacing for sometime. I'm sure the foam grip will wear out in time, but I already have it in mind to wrap it with some hocky tape or the likes at that point. I'm sure you could get another grip from Logrite if you cared to.

Last edited:
I had the 30" logrite and you are correct, it is too short. Another thing I didn't like was the straight pipe handle. It was awkward to hold. I bought this one. I like it much better. It is 34" long and has an axe type handle with the angle at the end which makes it more comfortable to grip. I use it for unloading the pickup and do wish it was a few inches longer for reaching the back of the bed.

Ian

Peavey Pickeroon

Wouldn't be without one. Actually have 2. Keep one with the splitter and one behind the seat of the truck. Makes getting those last pieces out of the bed easier.

My neighbor has the LogRite, it's fine, but I prefer the shape and feel of the wood handle on the Peavey.

Take Care

Pickeroons rock

I too like the wooden handle model, it just feels right. at first they're just another thing to carry around, but they soon earn their spot right next to the maul. my maul and pickaroon are a pair that goes everywhere together. they're good at unloading trucks, tossing in a pile, dragging and setting up at the splitter, standing up logs to split with the maul etc etc. saves wear and tear on the back, and the hands. it looks like the peavy pickeroons are quality made with lots of head/handle combos. I just made my own out of an old single bit axe head laying around and uses the standard 34" axe handle. I'll attach some pics later. figured i had nothing to lose to make my own, and if i like it then i can upgrade to a nicer one later. with a little practice you'll wonder how you ever cut firewood without one.

Seems like neither style is really a terrible choice other than a short handle. At least one thing is in agreement-everyone likes using a pickeroon!

MN Guns does the logrite send any shock-waves up the handle when driving it into dense firewood? I have a True Temper monster maul with the steel handle and that thing lets you feel it right up to your shoulders if the wood won't split, curious if an aluminum tube would do the same physics?

Who makes the axe handle model from Baileys? Is it made in North America or an Asian Import?

Thanks for the input so far!

DIY - Pickaroon

Been reading about pickaroons & hookaroons.
I like splitting with a maul - don't like picking up billets or splits. A hookaroon seemed perfect for eliminating the bend-over part of picking up.

Thought I'd make one. But, didn't want to carry around another tool. So, I put a "hook" on the maul (never used splitting wedges anyway). Tapped a 1/2-13 hole in poll, put in a grade 8 bolt & (lock)nut, ground the head to form the hook

Works great - Hook the billet onto the block, split with the maul side, hook the splits to the stack. Never bent over, never touched the wood.

picture.php

Seems like neither style is really a terrible choice other than a short handle. At least one thing is in agreement-everyone likes using a pickeroon!

MN Guns does the logrite send any shock-waves up the handle when driving it into dense firewood? I have a True Temper monster maul with the steel handle and that thing lets you feel it right up to your shoulders if the wood won't split, curious if an aluminum tube would do the same physics?

Who makes the axe handle model from Baileys? Is it made in North America or an Asian Import?

Thanks for the input so far!

No shockwaves to speak of. I am very pleased with the product.

maybe not on topic

:lifter:I use a old pair of ice tongs, I found at the flee market $15.00. Still have to bend over some. You would be suprise at the weight you can lift, with that grip.

Latest posts

Back