Pecan- what to do with it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I have a few large/huge pecan logs.
I slabbed up one into 10/4 thickness, but don’t know what to do with the rest. Thinner boards, more slabs, or firewood?

Pecan is hard to dry straight, so I wonder if it’s better to dry thinner boards vs thicker slabs.

So I have a few large/huge pecan logs.
I slabbed up one into 10/4 thickness, but don’t know what to do with the rest. Thinner boards, more slabs, or firewood?

Pecan is hard to dry straight, so I wonder if it’s better to dry thinner boards vs thicker slabs.
I wouldn’t mill any at less than 7/4

In for replies. I burn most of mine. Rarely get a straight trunk. Most of mine is big limbs. But my cousin wants a few boards if I get a straight trunk.

While it’s a quality hardwood and we have tons of it around here, have to admit I’ve never sought it out for single slab tables. Every wetted set of big slabs I’ve seen for sale I haven’t liked the color and it doesn’t have much character. Gets better spalted. Coffee tables and small tables I don’t mind it. Seems best in boards and kept light and natural for shelving or any 3/4-5/4 project, like I use red oak for. But for that I’d mill at least 10/4 and resaw after drying to 4/4 boards. I view it like my local extra difficult red oak. Incredibly hard and dense without the beautiful grain payoff of other such woods. So I’ll use it but won’t seek it out.

While it’s a quality hardwood and we have tons of it around here, have to admit I’ve never sought it out for single slab tables. Every wetted set of big slabs I’ve seen for sale I haven’t liked the color and it doesn’t have much character. Gets better spalted. Coffee tables and small tables I don’t mind it. Seems best in boards and kept light and natural for shelving or any 3/4-5/4 project, like I use red oak for. But for that I’d mill at least 10/4 and resaw after drying to 4/4 boards. I view it like my local extra difficult red oak. Incredibly hard and dense without the beautiful grain payoff of other such woods. So I’ll use it but won’t seek it out.
Perhaps as a backing for one of those colourful resin table/counter tops?

I mean it works best with well coloured and "grainy" wood, but maybe worth a try? Just a suggestion

Perhaps as a backing for one of those colourful resin table/counter tops?

I mean it works best with well coloured and "grainy" wood, but maybe worth a try? Just a suggestion
Actually counter tops would be a good use for pecan, I think with just natural wood, counters would look great. Finished with water based polyurethane would for a nice hard finish and keeps the color light. I forget about counters/bar tops sometimes, and they're a great use of fairly common 24-25" single slabs. I rarely get 36-40" slabs of anything big enough that trimmed out can be 32-36" wide dining tables, but I get lots of 24-30" slabs that would make nice counters.

Cut the pith out. Look at it like red oak. If they start to curl they need to be cut and joined up again after drying. 7/4- 8/4 is usually more stable in oak from my experience. Bigger thicker boards twists. Thinner cups badly. Some trees are leaners and never dry flat.

Back