Pecan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieselscout80

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I don't have a mill, but I found a guy with one and I have this log that I want milled. I want to make some 1" boards and maybe some full 2" boards for a table, but I also want the end cut off for a table top this is all I know for sure so far. The log is about 11' 6" as it sets there (the trailer is 83" between the fenders) and is 48" at it's widest point.

What do I need to know so the log is not wasted?

He wants $0.35 per board foot to do the cutting is that reasonable?

View attachment 291921View attachment 291922

Last edited:
There will be waste no matter what you do, so prepare for that. But you'll still get some fair lumber out of it. Looks like fun :rock:

The price is really close to what I charge for hardwood, so I'd say that's a pretty good deal.
Waste, as qbilder stated....always have some no matter what. But it does work out for you and your smoker(when we all coming over for the cookout)!

Is this a tree from near a house(city tree) or from out of the woods?
Did the sawyer say anything about busted blade price?(due to imbedded objects)

What kind of mill is your local sawyer using?

Scott (hope we get to see some slabbing photo's) B

Think about what you want out of the log, and talk to the sawyer. If you can use 5-1/2' long boards and the sawyer can handle that length, you'll get better yield if you cut the log in half. Not many band mills could handle a log that diameter, so you may need to quarter the log with a chain saw. If the sawyer has a swing blade mill, the size won't be a problem. If you want slabs, it will take a chain saw mill or swing blade mill with a slabbing attachment. Any way you go, you should have some nice lumber! Be sure to plan for proper drying-- you can easily lose more wood to warpage, cracking, and rot than you do at the mill! Hope someone with experience drying "cookies" will advise you on how to use the end of the log. It will make an interesting table top IF you can keep it from cracking (or make the crack part of the design).

Last edited:
Think about what you want out of the log, and talk to the sawyer. If you can use 5-1/2' long boards and the sawyer can handle that length, you'll get better yield if you cut the log in half. Not many band mills could handle a log that diameter, so you may need to quarter the log with a chain saw. If the sawyer has a swing blade mill, the size won't be a problem. If you want slabs, it will take a chain saw mill or swing blade mill with a slabbing attachment. Any way you go, you should have some nice lumber! Be sure to plan for proper drying-- you can easily lose more wood to warpage, cracking, and rot than you do at the mill! Hope someone with experience drying "cookies" will advise you on how to use the end of the log. It will make an interesting table top IF you can keep it from cracking (or make the crack part of the design).

I hope someone will provide some advice since this is a first for me.

I hope someone will provide some advice since this is a first for me.

Home Depot sells a 3M brand wood filler that is black. It is perfect for cracks and natural voids. Fill the cracks, let dry, and sand everything flush. Looks really cool.

As for log length, I agree with Dave. You'll get a lot more lumber if the log is sawn in half to make two logs. That would split the bow in half, giving you two logs that are twice as straight as the one large log. Straight logs = more lumber.

If you want 7' long boards, see about cutting the log into 7' and 4' (if the miller can handle 4' logs). If it were mine, I'd use a chain saw mill to slab the 4' section into flitches. For your application, the wood needs to be KILN DRY to around 7% moisture content. It looks like you are ready for the wood now, but trust me, there is no way around it!

If you want 7' long boards, see about cutting the log into 7' and 4' (if the miller can handle 4' logs). If it were mine, I'd use a chain saw mill to slab the 4' section into flitches. For your application, the wood needs to be KILN DRY to around 7% moisture content. It looks like you are ready for the wood now, but trust me, there is no way around it!

Waiting for it to dry properly is not a issue for us.

Latest posts

Back