Peerless Sawchain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynodave

equal opportunity gearhead
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When My friend sold me his Husky 298XP he threw in his (inherited) dad's old saw chain grinder as part of the deal. $200 for the pair. He never bothered to set it up and get it going. The 298XP...well he never ran it after the day he bought it 15 years ago.
I think the grinder was the better part of the deal...the saw I find was not a cream puff by looks of the piston.

I have found so little info and references to other peerless machines, so far only 3 others on the internet and 2 were equipment auctions sold in the last couple years . Yet I am very impressed by this grinder. Which is the most complete and looks like it may function once I clean it all up. I has nice castings and would appear to be a real nice machine in its day. You can find a few references to it in 1959 Popular Mechanics magazines. The electric motor has a number on it, 7008 that may mean 1970, week08 as the build date.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find this machine referenced in a patent which described in detail the how and why this machine operates. You can see a few pictures here......
Saw chain grinder
Mine appears to be slightly newer and a few minor differences from the basic patent design. It has Peerless ID tags and a SN tag issued by SIP grinding company...Simplex-Ideal-Peerless

I found some grinding wheels 3/16"(3/8", .404") and 1/8" (1/4", .325", and 3/8"LP) at sharpchain.com which called out the correct 3/4' arbor flat stones. The old one was a type 12 dished pink wheel on an adaptor bush, to make the 1-1/4" arbor pink wheel work. I don't really see how he got it to work that way???

Any one else heard of these? :msp_thumbup:

Never heard of one until tonight, and as you said very little info to be found. I came across this old post here on AS and had to check it out.
Here's one I just found on Craigslist in Michigan (about 1:30 min from me).
Thought you might be interested in seeing it. It looks like a sweet old machine, with the foot pedal, light, stand, and even reverse.
The grinding wheels are the one thing I was wondering about myself, but I have a friend who has a sharpening business (tooling mainly) and figured that would probably be an easy find for him.
Enjoy Looking,
http://thumb.craigslist.org/grd/5224481072.html

Yes chipper that's the one. Mine is only bench mount, and the base may have been stripped off and trashed. IMO It is definitely worth retaining. The wheels are found at sharpchain.com and don't seem to be unreasonably priced. The less common 6" diameter 3/4" arbor size is the problem. There does not seem to be much offerings. You or your buddy are a better searcher than me if you find a proper wheel else where. Sharpchain sells them but are marketed by tilton as the "total brand".
I'd buy it in a heart beat just for the base if you don't want it.

http://www.tiltonequipment.com/files/9912/9225/8029/grinding_wheels.pdf

Yes chipper that's the one. Mine is only bench mount, and the base may have been stripped off and trashed. IMO It is definitely worth retaining. The wheels are found at sharpchain.com and don't seem to be unreasonably priced. The less common 6" diameter 3/4" arbor size is the problem. There does not seem to be much offerings. You or your buddy are a better searcher than me if you find a proper wheel else where. Sharpchain sells them but are marketed by tilton as the "total brand".
I'd buy it in a heart beat just for the base if you don't want it.
Do you know if the foot pedal is for the clamp, brake, or direction change.
My buddy said buy only one with a foot pedal for the clamp, that they are much faster as well as the stand he said it is a must have. I get the part about the stand as my cheap little grinder is mounted on the landing at the bottom of the stairs in the basement. I am lookinh forward to setting that one up for rakers/.325. As it is it's weak even for grinding .325 chain for my 346.
I saved that ad with the phone # to my desktop last night and will put the image on here(when I get a min at the laptop) for anyone else looking at this model.

The foot pedal does 3 things
1. activates the switch which activates the solenoid that clamps the chain.
2. pulls the grinder arm down to grind the chain.
3. leaves your hands free to forward then back stop the chain into position

I would likely make a foot linkage to operate my grinder while still being bench mounted. and I would work and sit on a stool.
It is very adjustable in all axis' and think the complexity overwhelmed my friend dad based on the wheel swap out making the machine almost unuseable without furtherr drastic realignment of most of the machine's set up.
The correct wheels makes this all happen much much easier.
I still need to tweek or recalibrate the machine to make it cut precision/even R&L cutters.
The electromagnetic clamping was way out . It needed resetting to allow .063 to .050 drivers to be well clamped and supported. It was crazy sloppy before.
I'll admit to design thinking of an add-on separate grinder to do a second operation for the rakers at the same time.

Dyno,
I am very impressed with the thoroughness of your research; so few nowadays would take the time and effort to ferret out data from such diverse places. I am going to have to remember the Patent Office.

Latest posts

Back