People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one works pretty well......I would compare it to a 45cc gas saw. Of course I have several 60V DeWalt tools so this just fits well into the platform. That is 16" dry ash in the pic.....16" bar completely buried and it was fresh from the box. Figured if I was going to let the smoke out of it that was the time. Damn easy strarting too...first pull....

IMG_1409.jpg

They cut wood.

They don't sound right, they don't feel right, they don't handle right, they are at least as heavy as their gas counterparts, they won't last long, they are boring, etc, etc.

but I want one.
Project Farm did a couple good youtube videos about the "best battery operated saws". The DeWalt and Echo were at the top in speed. With honorable mention to Milwaukee battery longevity and torque as well as Makita quality. Husky battery saws have not obtained very high Amazon ratings so far. Stihl battery is unreasonably expensive and unimpressive stats right now. I don't think Stihl's heart was in it.

Interesting that two legit youtubers can compare saws and develop different findings. I think our personal biases find a way to shine through. I know one guy favors DeWalt while the other favors Makita.

Project Farms videos are the way to go if interested in getting one. Pretty comprehensive.

Where I go it is common to find small to medium trees in the road. The perfect application for a battery saw.

I also want a 120cc class gas saw. 90cc can bog down at 10,000' unless hopped up pretty well.

They are good testers of all things, yes. However they are not professional users, so their evaluations can always be taken with a grain of salt regarding many of their findings.

I have run only one rechargeable power saw. It cut wood. It was odd, but reasonably comfortable. I have held several others in various stores/shops. None that I have held were even remotely comfortable to flop around, like if you were limbing. Anything can buck but not everything can be effortlessly flopped around as any proper saw should do, imo.

do any of those electric saws handle well? I don't know.

they should handle as well as their 30-40cc gas counterparts, imo. I haven't held one yet that does. Any suggestions?

they should handle as well as their 30-40cc gas counterparts, imo. I haven't held one yet that does. Any suggestions?
The Husqvarna 530 or 536 battery pole saws have the motor at one end and the battery at the other. Curious if you would prefer that to gas layout.

For twisting the Husqvarna Pro ones would seem to have the battery centered ideally for twisting effort low. The top handle one balances at the finger behind the throttle with a small bar. Is that good? As opposed to balancing when held with both hands like my gas ones.

I believe at least Husqvarna and Stihl have essentally back pack batteries probably more intended for string trimmer use on larger jobs but this obviously gives different handling characteristics for current products as well as new possibilities for new ones as to the handling.

Electric has its place battery or corded . I have a skill corded pole pruner works very well . The PH also detaches and can be used as a saw . I use it in the basement to cut splits that are a hair to long for the stove . I'm thinking battery would be an option for little trim ups or small trees . Dont think it will work for heavy firewood collection .

The Husqvarna 530 or 536 battery pole saws have the motor at one end and the battery at the other. Curious if you would prefer that to gas layout.

For twisting the Husqvarna Pro ones would seem to have the battery centered ideally for twisting effort low. The top handle one balances at the finger behind the throttle with a small bar. Is that good? As opposed to balancing when held with both hands like my gas ones.

I believe at least Husqvarna and Stihl have essentally back pack batteries probably more intended for string trimmer use on larger jobs but this obviously gives different handling characteristics for current products as well as new possibilities for new ones as to the handling.
I prefer the handling characteristics of my jonny 590's over everything else I have (8 small saws .. 40-60cc). The 590's have a touch more weight in the trigger handle than the more modern saws. I like that. The other saw I have that really handles is the 262xp. The 2152 is also really good. But overall I prefer the jonny 590's (partner 5000+, more or less).

anyway, one day I will have both a corded and non-corded electric. It is almost inevitable. The convenience cannot be denied.

Power. Chain Speed. Weight. Balance. Etc. These are all important factors to consider. But the ‘battery’ is half of a ‘battery chainsaw’.

Not just the Voltage or Amp-hour (Ah) rating. But the quality. Not all lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are made the same, and if one cell in a battery pack dies, the whole thing is done.

Li-ion battery cells generally put out 3.6V, so a ’36 Volt battery’ will have 10 cells inside (sometimes there is rounding to call these 4V cells, and a ’40 Volt’ battery). ‘Batteries Plus’ will not rebuild them.

So, choosing a battery-powered chainsaw should include not just a short test done for a magazine article, but consideration how the batteries hold up over the long run, manufacturer support for batteries, etc.

Consideration should also be given to the “battery platform“, or the “family of tools“ that the batteries support. If you use the same batteries for a wide variety of tools, then you will get more useful life out of them, than for a saw which is only run occasionally.

These batteries might be the same for 18 or 20 Volt ‘contractor type’ tools that you already have, or a different set for outdoor power equipment, such as string trimmers, lawnmowers, pole saws, hedge trimmers, etc. As with contractor tools, once you have a few batteries, you can buy “bare tools“ for much less money (half?) and share the batteries among them.

Philbert

Power. Chain Speed. Weight. Balance. Etc. These are all important factors to consider. But the ‘battery’ is half of a ‘battery chainsaw’.

Not just the Voltage or Amp-hour (Ah) rating. But the quality. Not all lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are made the same, and if one cell in a battery pack dies, the whole thing is done.

Li-ion battery cells generally put out 3.6V, so a ’36 Volt battery’ will have 10 cells inside (sometimes there is rounding to call these 4V cells, and a’40 Volt’ battery). ‘Batteries Plus’ will not rebuild them.

So, choosing a battery-powered chainsaw should include not just a short test done for a magazine article, but consideration how the batteries hold up over the long run, manufacturer support for batteries, etc.

Consideration should also be given to the “battery platform“, or the “family of tools“ that the batteries support. If you use the same batteries for a wide variety of tools, then you will get more useful life out of than, than for a saw which is only run occasionally.

These batteries might be the same for 18 or 20 Volt ‘contractor type“ tools that you already have, or a different set for outdoor power equipment, such as string trimmers, lawnmowers, pole saws, hedge trimmers, etc. As with contractor tools, once you have a few batteries, you can buy “bare tools“ for much less money (half?) and share the batteries among them.

Philbert
Very true........The only reason I got the Dewalt saw was I already had the 20V platform. It' a pretty neat platform....I have a 60V hammer drill and a 60V 7 1/4" skillaw so already had several 60V batteries/chargers. You can use the 60V batteries in all the 20V tools and chargers. You cannot use the 20V batteries in 60V tools however. 60V batteries are not cheap...9AH battery will set you back $200.00 anywhere you look. Grizzly Tools had the saw for $250.00 bare tool....I thought about it but didn't bite....looked back in on it a couple weeks later and they had added a 9AH battery to the deal at the same price. I couldn't let that one get by me! Delivered to my door tax and shipping paid for $289.00 so essentially the saw cost me $89.00 and I bought another battery. I make my living using these tools so I found it a no brainer to acquire the saw. The only complaint I have is it doesn't hold a lot of bar oil.....have to fill it 2-3 times per battery. Never take the place of a gas saw in the woods but is darn handy around the shop/yard and always starts right when you need it indoors or out......

The only reason I got the Dewalt saw was I already had the 20V platform.
Right. So the choice of ‘the best’ specific battery powered chainsaw might vary between someone who expects occasional use, and is already invested in a DeWalt, or Makita, or Milwaukee, or . . . platform, and a professional arborist company looking to outfit several crews.

Philbert

Battery life is the only reason I HATE any battery powered tool! Ya they are o.k. when they work but when they dont,---well you know how that goes!
I was considering one to use in the bucket with one hand but still leaning towards fixing up an old top handle 2.0 to use up there for the small stuff.

Battery life is the only reason I HATE any battery powered tool! Ya they are o.k. when they work but when they dont,---well you know how that goes!
I was considering one to use in the bucket with one hand but still leaning towards fixing up an old top handle 2.0 to use up there for the small stuff.
Milwaukee and Echo have monster batteries for $200 and up.

I see a lot of "nope, no way" here. But not from people who have actually used one. The owners have generally expressed satisfaction.

Once again, if my gas saws were fond of starting I would have a different perspective on gas. They work amazing at sea level though. Night and day difference really. But why in hell would anybody choose to live at sea level?

I see a lot of "nope, no way" here. But not from people who have actually used one. The owners have generally expressed satisfaction.

Once again, if my gas saws were fond of starting I would have a different perspective on gas. They work amazing at sea level though. Night and day difference really. But why in hell would anybody choose to live at sea level?
You just rave with your 500hp tesla in front of your traditional siblings with he's trans-am dude! You're the man !
I have tried my brothers tesla - you dont wait for the rpm, those hp are there right from the start - at the push of a button !

I want at least 3 batteries for a battery powered saw. If you have access to power (near by), and are not running the saw 100%, that might let you keep one on a charger. Preferably, a ‘fast’ charger. But after 3 batteries, it might be time for a different tool anyway.

Larger capacity / longer running batteries are good, as long as not too heavy.

Multiple batteries also work with other, compatible tools (pole saw, etc. ).

Philbert

Back