People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The four things I don't like about my battery saws are the cost of the saws, the cost of the batteries, the cost of the chargers and the fact that my smallest 2 stroke saw (MS170) cuts four times as much wood on one tank of fuel as does my most powerful battery saw on one fully charged battery.

At present there is no new tech on the horizon which will make batteries competitive costwise or oomphwise with 2strokers.
There is something on the horizon that may shut down gas powered saws and that is a government like California and others mandating that gas powered equipment be outlawed, which I hear is happening...

Just to add a couple of points.
I was told the Husqvarna BLi 300 batteries could be charged approximately 1100 times to 100% before they slowly reduce the capacity to hold a charge. At 1500 charges they estimate they still should hold 80%.
I am sure thats a best case scenario. Time will tell.
Secondly I guarantee a Stihl MS 170 will not cut anymore then the Husqvarna 540i xp. The Stihl also lost the timed cuts in 6" birch. How I know is real life experience ( my neighbour has a couple of MS 170's).
I do realize that battery operated chainsaws are not for everyone and that is fine. But like others have said they have a use where they are preferred.
If I was still logging I would still be reaching for a gas powered saw, probably my 572 xp.

Attachments

• PkycF4nNTM6bV565iEvDSg.jpg
    PkycF4nNTM6bV565iEvDSg.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
The independence of the gas/diesel powered equipment is becoming less because our own sense independence is going away.
What I mean is, is anyone heading out into the wilderness to clear land for a couple of days/weeks ? Who spent less then a grand on a saw? Probably not.
Considering most cant change a tire or build a shelter, catch their own food ,or fix a light switch in their house the need for being self sufficient going away .

I would prefer a proper battery saw for practical use.
But it does not give me any excitement. No love.
The marble of the engine, the mystery of life...
Life in its nutshell.

If I was still logging I would still be reaching for a gas powered saw, probably my 572 xp.
The fallacy is ‘either / or’. Few people on this site have just one chainsaw. Some will admit to owning more than one brand (!).

You could reach for your 572 XP for certain types of work, and your battery powered saw for other tasks.

‘Nobody plays golf with just one club’ - Philbert

The fallacy is ‘either / or’. Few people on this site have just one chainsaw. Some will admit to owning more than one brand (!).

You could reach for your 572 XP for certain types of work, and your battery powered saw for other tasks.

‘Nobody plays golf with just one club’ - Philbert
I've heard of people just using a 5 iron and doing quite well.

Two years ago the USFS had a no chainsaw use rule between the hours of 9:30 to like 6:30 pm due to dry forest conditions. I was pretty sure an electric might keep me cutting during those times with most saws using brushless motors that I remember seeing. So I called the ranger district and they said you couldn't use those either. That was the last time I looked at them, and I don't see a compelling need to get one for now. My 192T can ride along in the truck just as easy as an electric. I see people arguing for or against heck run what blows your dress up.
For me it's a practical matter. I don't care about noise, don't have a truck set up with a bunch of electrical charging stuff in it. My 192T is a pristine saw I picked up for 160.00 vs the Husky xxx540 whatever with it's expensive batteries-for what I do the real charge I get is that the 1,000 I didn't spend on the electric is still sitting in the bank. If I was a climber I would have at least one electric. It all depends on the need or want, but the electrics will just get better and better with time and technology. I'm glad I grew up in the era I did though

I’ve been wanting a CS-2511T for a while, but never pulled the trigger because I already had a G2500 for climbing. Finally decided on a 355T to be able to run a 14” bar and grabbed a DCS-2500T for light work. I was really surprised at how long the battery lasts and how well the saw handles. Out of the box, I was able to make roughly 110 cuts on 2-4” oak and still had two bars left. Pretty good for a $500 saw with a 2.5 mah battery. It won’t replace my gas saws, but it has its place. I really like not having to wear ear pro while using it and how it light it is.

I will keep rebuilding older saws and when I can’t use them anymore I will switch to manual axes and crosscut saws. All this in the name of global whining I personally think humans have anything to do with climate change as their now calling it yes we can all live a little greener and use resources better but most of this is about control.

Anyone out there own A Stihl 220 …. Or similar?
I'm running the 220! It does a god job, is not as quiet as you might expect (but obviously much quieter than petrol (gas)), and really lasts 45 minutes on the AP300S battery. It's expensive for what it is, but most new tech is...

Hope this helps...
Mike

Not making a pitch for electric chainsaws at all but I sure like my electric weed eater and blower. It makes it a lot easier on an older person to not have to spend time starting them. I used the weedeater today until I was worn out and the battery never went down. I don't remember when I charged it last, I think late last summer...It's an EGO brand, 56 volt..

Just purchased a new Dewalt 16" 60volt chainsaw. IT's sharp and fast.
Cool that one can climb up a tree and pull the trigger. I already have the 20volt 12" dewalt too. The main advice for Dewalt is don't let the job drain the battery to only one dot of charge remaining; for the battery charger will put out a error code, and the battery will continue to code out badly.

Bad thing is you always need to buy $$ extra large AH batteries for the spares.

Watch some videos on YT, some of those electric bikes are absolute monsters. Don't know if it's still the case, but the fastest production sport bike in the world used to be electric.

Watch some videos on YT, some of those electric bikes are absolute monsters. Don't know if it's still the case, but the fastest production sport bike in the world used to be electric.
Yeah right enter in the electric and steam semi streamliner class and then claim production put out the world. You must be thinking of the lightning 217 that seems to be a handful of bikes, certainly not homologated dot approved bike.

But I did buy ktm freeride e in 2017 and it sure is great the power of mine is kind of like a 125 two stroke in "peak" power but no 5th and 6th gear. Heavier, top heavier.

Lithium ion batteries are what you would want in this year.

I bought a Specialized Turbo Levo E-Mountain Bike a couple months ago and it's pretty awesome. You still have to pedal a lot, but the assist is great for helping me go up the very steep, very long hills. The six inches of travel is great for bombing back down.

Yeah right enter in the electric and steam semi streamliner class and then claim production put out the world. You must be thinking of the lightning 217 that seems to be a handful of bikes, certainly not homologated dot approved bike.

But I did buy ktm freeride e in 2017 and it sure is great the power of mine is kind of like a 125 two stroke in "peak" power but no 5th and 6th gear. Heavier, top heavier.

Lithium ion batteries are what you would want in this year.

Hadn't checked into the specs, just saw it was in production. Bikes aren't my thing, that was the end of my interest.

Nobody would even consider anything but lithium ion for EV's. Power tools, I would only go lithium ion too, but I see why the other chemistries are still used. I bought a shaver/trimmer last year that's nicad. I'm guessing it's nicad, because a shaver is a low draw device, and nicad tech is nearly bulletproof. Can handle overcharge, overdischarge, overheating, etc. Lithium ion is much higher output, but much more finicky and easily damaged.

Latest posts

Back