Perkins diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjcezar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 96 perkins 4 cyl diesel that i just got. It ran fine. It sat for a couple of days and I checked the fuel level and it looked empty so I went and filled it up. Now I can't get it started. Does this fuel system have to be primed or something (it may have ran out of gas)? Where should I start to try and figure this out?

Google "priming diesel engine" and this comes up...
Step1Get a good mechanic's repair manual. This will give you all the specific details for your diesel engine. These manuals also generally give you a list of tools you need to work on your diesel engine as well.
Step2Look the fuel system over and check for any obvious air leaks. Fill with clean fuel to do this.
Step3Fill your fuel filters with clean diesel and replace them. Do one fuel filter at a time.
Step4Take off the primer handle from the injector pump and pump it until you get fuel pressure on the system. Be patient, this can take hundreds of pumps until you get pressure back on the system.
Step5Put the primer handle back on the injector pump and on the fuel filter assembly. Open the bleeder screw slightly to check for air.
Step6Repeat Steps 4 and 5 until you can no longer see air coming out. At this point you should see pressure at the primer pump after about five pumps.
Step7Reassemble and turn on the engine. It may run a little rough until the fuel is completely free of air.

Step 1 should be-put the battery on charge, or get yourself a good set of booster cables. Priming the system can take some time and cranking of the starter.

I have a fuel canister on the outside of the machine near the fuel tank and when I opened that one up there was no filter in it. Should this have a filter? The one attach in the engine compartment does have one so I will replace that one. Machine cranks but does not start. A little shot of start fluid kicks it over but then shuts off. I am guessing it is a fuel problem. Anyway I just wondering about that external canister.

I have an older one. Same problem a few years ago. I put an electric fuel pump on and by-passed the OE pump. Works great.

Back