Perplexed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B
Air leak?
Bingo! I found that a cover of some sort fell off the right side of the engine, how strange, no bolts or screws holding it on, no cement or silicone, I'm waiting for a call back from a Stihl dealer, it must not be under pressure, or it would be attached better, probably like a valve cover I'm thinking. I'm gonna put it back on with high temp silicone and see what happens, at first the guy said, "you probably have to buy a new cylinder"- what a dumb thing to say, I'm a mechanic, I fix things, not replace unless no other option.

A
Transfer cover, similar to another thread in progress here? I have to wonder why Stihl engineered this design and what they used to hold that part in place. The Service Manual doesn't offer a clue.
according to tech support at Stihl, its a special cement, and once the cover comes off you cant fix it, well I'm gonna try anyway, if not, I buy a new cylinder, right?

A

according to tech support at Stihl, its a special cement, and once the cover comes off you cant fix it, well I'm gonna try anyway, if not, I buy a new cylinder, right?
Not a good idea. The piston may or may not be reusable. If you run it any more it won't be. You may also ruin the bearings in the crank and bottom end with debris from the next spontaneous disassembly.

Not a good idea. The piston may or may not be reusable. If you run it any more it won't be. You may also ruin the bearings in the crank and bottom end with debris from the next spontaneous disassembly.
I plan to re-attach it using ultra high heat cement, if it doesnt work, I scrap it all and buy a new cylinder, the bearings are sealed arent they?

yeah, now that I understand these engines better, I believe it was running lean. I did inspect the piston, it looks steller. Thanks for the good info.

Back